Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
Rate This FAQ
Although these are bulb plants, the way they get energy to the bulb is through photosynthesis from the leaves. If leaves are still green and growing, just remove the flower and let the leaves photosynthesize, that is take carbon dioxide, water and sun's energy, to produce sugars and oxygen. The sugars will travel down to the bulb and replenish energy used up when flowering. After leaves are spent, then you can trim leaves down to base of plant.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We bought a home in East Millcreek w/out any trees in the front yard. We really like the look of the Sycamore tree (with the mottled bark), but don't know if that is the best choice. Is it possible to get one that doesn't bear fruit (itchy-bombs, as we called it as children)? What other trees would you suggest as a large shade tree? Once we decide on a tree, I was planning on checking with all our neighbors to see if they want to plant the same tree so that 20 years down the road, we have a beautiful street. So, I want to plant something that won't make my neighbors despise me down the road!
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- The leaves on my snowball bush are withered and the flowers almost nonexistant. The neighboring lilac doesn't look to good either. What could be causing this problem.
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- How can you tell if a fertilizer is a "slow-release"? What are the best NPK ratios for this area?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- I would like to find out where I can obtain a list of the daily rainfall/precip totals for the Logan area.