Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
Rate This FAQ
Although these are bulb plants, the way they get energy to the bulb is through photosynthesis from the leaves. If leaves are still green and growing, just remove the flower and let the leaves photosynthesize, that is take carbon dioxide, water and sun's energy, to produce sugars and oxygen. The sugars will travel down to the bulb and replenish energy used up when flowering. After leaves are spent, then you can trim leaves down to base of plant.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've just moved here from Maryland and I'm starting to landscape our yard. I've noticed that none of my neighbors use mulch in their flower beds. Why is that? I thought mulch helped to keep the soil moist as well as keep out the weeds. Plus you can till it back into the soil in the fall for aeration.
- Something is eating my garden. HELP! At first I thought it was snails because there were quite a few holes in the leaves of my beans and squash. Now, there are just skeleton leaves left of half my garden. I have treated for snails with PAX and for other insects with Seven. I have looked for squash bugs but to no avail. I have seen a great many ants and earwigs. Oh, and my tomatoes seem fine. Any tips?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?
- I have black spots on my tomato plant leaves and some on the main stem. Will it kill the plant? Can I get rid of it? Will it apread to the soil or other plants? HELP. I see it in most of the greehouses I have been to. Is it to late to find someone with a place to find a clean tomato plant and still plant it and get fruit?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?