Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
Rate This FAQ
Although these are bulb plants, the way they get energy to the bulb is through photosynthesis from the leaves. If leaves are still green and growing, just remove the flower and let the leaves photosynthesize, that is take carbon dioxide, water and sun's energy, to produce sugars and oxygen. The sugars will travel down to the bulb and replenish energy used up when flowering. After leaves are spent, then you can trim leaves down to base of plant.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- I am buying a home, and have no idea how to take card of a yard and plant a garden/flowers. Do you have or know of any classes to teach these things?
- About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.
- I have an apricot tree that is so heavy laden with fruit that it broke a major branch yesterday leaving me with about a half bushel of partially ripened fruit. Can any of it be saved? What should I do?
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.