Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
Rate This FAQ
Your pressure gauge should be checked once per year, preferably before you begin your canning for the season. Only dial-gauges need to be tested, but we can also inspect your canner (dial-gauge and weighted-gauge) if desired.
We do free testing in our Extension office on Wednesdays from 10am to 3pm during canning season (through September 30). Other days and times, we charge $2 for each canner tested, and we ask that you call ahead to make sure there is someone available to test it for you. You can reach our office at 801-851-8460.
You can also take your canner to The Mending Shed in Orem, Utah for testing. They also supply replacement parts for various kinds of canners.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions - either by phone or email!
Thank you and HAPPY CANNING! :)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?