Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
Rate This FAQ
Your pressure gauge should be checked once per year, preferably before you begin your canning for the season. Only dial-gauges need to be tested, but we can also inspect your canner (dial-gauge and weighted-gauge) if desired.
We do free testing in our Extension office on Wednesdays from 10am to 3pm during canning season (through September 30). Other days and times, we charge $2 for each canner tested, and we ask that you call ahead to make sure there is someone available to test it for you. You can reach our office at 801-851-8460.
You can also take your canner to The Mending Shed in Orem, Utah for testing. They also supply replacement parts for various kinds of canners.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions - either by phone or email!
Thank you and HAPPY CANNING! :)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- What can I store water in?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh