Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
Rate This FAQ
Your pressure gauge should be checked once per year, preferably before you begin your canning for the season. Only dial-gauges need to be tested, but we can also inspect your canner (dial-gauge and weighted-gauge) if desired.
We do free testing in our Extension office on Wednesdays from 10am to 3pm during canning season (through September 30). Other days and times, we charge $2 for each canner tested, and we ask that you call ahead to make sure there is someone available to test it for you. You can reach our office at 801-851-8460.
You can also take your canner to The Mending Shed in Orem, Utah for testing. They also supply replacement parts for various kinds of canners.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions - either by phone or email!
Thank you and HAPPY CANNING! :)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?