Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
Rate This FAQ
Your pressure gauge should be checked once per year, preferably before you begin your canning for the season. Only dial-gauges need to be tested, but we can also inspect your canner (dial-gauge and weighted-gauge) if desired.
We do free testing in our Extension office on Wednesdays from 10am to 3pm during canning season (through September 30). Other days and times, we charge $2 for each canner tested, and we ask that you call ahead to make sure there is someone available to test it for you. You can reach our office at 801-851-8460.
You can also take your canner to The Mending Shed in Orem, Utah for testing. They also supply replacement parts for various kinds of canners.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions - either by phone or email!
Thank you and HAPPY CANNING! :)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?