Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted 5 flowering pear trees. The leaves are drying out and dying. What can I do to make sure the trees do not die from transplant shock?
Rate This FAQ
Newly planted trees need water, because their root systems are not very substantial and don't have the surface area to absorb water. Sometimes depending on the tree roots at time of planting (bare root, balled and burlapped, or container grown) watering may vary, but still is most critical for establishing good root systems. With warmer and windy days, more water is transpired through leaves and adequate water must be available at the root zone. Drip or slow delivery of water over a long period is better, such as spiraling a soaker hose 4" from the trunk and spiral out, to encourage root growth and get good soil penetration of water.
Very important to water newly planted trees well, but not saturate the soil, because oxygen also has to be in the soil for proper root growth. Here is a link to USU Publication on Efficient Irrigation of Trees and Shrubs, click on http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-523.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- My green peppers have black at the stems of almost every branch. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- We planted apple trees last year. When do we spray for cottling moths?