Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
Rate This FAQ
The timing of your spray depends on the development of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at 1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up first.
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 13th weekly advisory Degree Day accumulations, in Holladay is 600 and in West Valley is 644. Look at our advisory for total of 1060 or go by physical appearance of salmon blush of cherry fruit to spray.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have several burning bushes and every year they start out great in the spring but later spring the leaves turn yellow, I have been adding iron to the soil around them and it seems to help a bit but it still happens every year. Could it be something else?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- I am preparing to sod my front yard in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a grass that is hardy, drought and weed resistant. I also have a dog that can be somewhat hard on grass. I looked into Zoysia grass, but determined it wasn't a really great grass for this climate. What would you suggest, and where might I find it in Northern Utah?
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?
- I have an 8 year old Norway Spruce. It has a section at the base where the needle grow is restricted and the stems look whitish. The rest of the tree has green plush growth and it is about 12 ft high now. It had this problem when I brought it home from the nursery but I thought it would snap out of it. What is this and is there anything I can do?
- Last summer I made some strawberry jam which I water canned in pint jars according to the directions in the pectin box. It seemed that all the lids sealed (they all popped). Now, though, the jam doesn't look quite right to me--it's a bit brown, especially toward the top of the jars. I'm a little wary of eating or even trying it. What could have caused this? Should I throw it out?