Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
Rate This FAQ
The timing of your spray depends on the development of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at 1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up first.
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 13th weekly advisory Degree Day accumulations, in Holladay is 600 and in West Valley is 644. Look at our advisory for total of 1060 or go by physical appearance of salmon blush of cherry fruit to spray.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have Ray wood ash trees around our home and last year they were topped by hormworms. What do you suggest?
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?
- What type of grass would hold up to high traffic in a yard facing south (no shade)? We are needing to re-seed or buy sod.
- I am trying to grow an indoor herb garden. My dill and cilantro are failing miserably! I think I am also harvesting them when they are too young. Help! They are frail and stringy.
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?