Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
Rate This FAQ
The timing of your spray depends on the development of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at 1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up first.
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 13th weekly advisory Degree Day accumulations, in Holladay is 600 and in West Valley is 644. Look at our advisory for total of 1060 or go by physical appearance of salmon blush of cherry fruit to spray.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- Our blue spruce has been around for 30 years. but the new buds have no needles and they are brown. Even up the center of the tree is brown with no needles. My father has put a bed of rocks around it and I am not sure if it is affecting it. We also had two crimson maples and they lost all of their leaves half way through summer. This year there are no leaves at all. Do the trees have disease?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- I think I have Johnsongrass invading my back lawn. I has sprayed the usual Crabgrass/lawn grassy weed killer on it and it is still taking over my entire lawn. What can I do?
- I just bought some property with what I think is a Bartlett pear tree. The tree seems to be in good condition but the fruit skin develops a coarse brown covering. What causes this?
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- We tilled our garden and planted peas and lettuce about three weeks ago. Nothing has come up yet. We were talking to our neighbor yesterday, and he told us that about 30-40 years ago, in a fit of vexation, the former owner spread an industrial strength soil sterilizing chemical on the area in which we planted our garden. He further explained that weeds have only started to grow in that area in the past 5-10 years. This information has caused my wife to give up on trying to cultivate this area. Should we give up? What can we do to amend the soil in this area?