Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
Rate This FAQ
The timing of your spray depends on the development of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at 1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up first.
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 13th weekly advisory Degree Day accumulations, in Holladay is 600 and in West Valley is 644. Look at our advisory for total of 1060 or go by physical appearance of salmon blush of cherry fruit to spray.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I just moved to SLC from Phx,Az and many of the plants here are new to me. I have some flowers in my yard that resemble "Blue Dicks" closely but, the flowers do not cluster -- they each form on a single stem and have been flowering since the end of April. I also have some Violet-like flowers growing in my lawn at about the same height as the grass. I would like to know what they might be and where I might be able to purchase seed or bulbs of the same type so I can plant more
- In the past you've offered a lawn-problem analysis --- as I recall a sample was brought in to your office and a quick analysis was done --- is the program still active? What is the schedule?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- I have a large mature cherry tree that over the past 3 weeks has had its leaves turn from green to yellow and now die off (July). I have not changed any watering patterns. The trunk "crotch" has debris, and small crawly wormy insects. How can I treat? Is it too late? It's a lovely tree, provides great shade and privacy.
- i was baking a chicken casserole last night. the power went out after about 30 minutes of baking. i put it in the fridge. then, i cooked it for 1 and 1/2 hours more when the power came back on 3 hours later. i put it back in the frige. is it safe to eat tonight?
- Just moved to where we have a very large backyard. I want to plant a large variety of fruit trees, but I don't know what will grow well in this climate. What types of fruit grow best in the Salt Lake area? (eg peaches, apples, nectarines....?) And which kind of each fruit would you suggest? I'm also new to this, so where should I go to buy the trees and find info on how to grow them correctly?
- We currently have an elm tree in our front yard. It has been diagnosed with slime flux. We would like to plant another tree next to it,seeing as they said the stump was so big that they would just leave it. Will this cause a problem for any other trees? We want another large shade tree. Will it get the slime flux too if we plant it near it?
- We planted apple trees last year. When do we spray for cottling moths?