Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
Rate This FAQ
The timing of your spray depends on the development of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at 1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up first.
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 13th weekly advisory Degree Day accumulations, in Holladay is 600 and in West Valley is 644. Look at our advisory for total of 1060 or go by physical appearance of salmon blush of cherry fruit to spray.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a Bartlett pear tree that has black spots on the leaves and holes chewed on some leaves and a few curled up leaves. Could you tell me what to spray for these problems?
- I have some fruit trees in a lawn area that I have been fertilizing with ammonium sulfate, but needed to change to a weed & feed. Is the fruit still safe to eat?
- We have Ray wood ash trees around our home and last year they were topped by hormworms. What do you suggest?
- Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- The leaves on our maple tree get little spikes on the top of it and then dry up and fall off. Can you tell me the problem and how we may solve it?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.