Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
Rate This FAQ
The timing of your spray depends on the development of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at 1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up first.
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 13th weekly advisory Degree Day accumulations, in Holladay is 600 and in West Valley is 644. Look at our advisory for total of 1060 or go by physical appearance of salmon blush of cherry fruit to spray.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a red Haven peach dwarf peach tree. It is really not growing as tall as advertised. If that is the case and we plant a standard size can we count on it not getting as tall as advertised? What are the best peach trees for Utah. I know our zone Starks have a few trees that are very hardy but they really don't brag about the taste and quality of the peach. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- There is a pecan tree where I work that is dropping leaves like crazy. Can I add the leaves to my vegetable garden and let it compost over the winter? Is there any toxicity in pecan leaves?
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- I want to plant a lilac hedge. I've never done lilacs before - how far apart should I plant them? Can I do a double row for a thicker hedge? If so, how far apart should the rows be? How fast do they grow? Do they need special care (they will be pretty close to a fairly busy road)? Can I plant them now, or should I wait until it's a little warmer? What are their fertilizer and water requirements? Will they be useful as a bit of a wind- and soundbreak? Thank you.
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?