Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.
Rate This FAQ
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am a landscape designer and have a client in Hyrum with an orchard of about 25 misc. fruit trees. Of course the clients want low maintenance. What is a good way to control weeds in the orchard? Turf? Bare soil and cultivation? Bark mulch? If turf is a good option, what variety? Thanks.
- I am trying to plant a "microforest" in my yard (.25 acre). I am looking for trees that will do well planted fairly close together (8' or less), evergreen and deciduous, to form a woodland-type setting. I also need bushes that can grow on a mild slope (drip irrigation) in this same location. I am particularly interested in dwarf, narrow, columnar evergreens. I've seen some in landscaping (I refer to them as Charlie Brown Christmas trees) around Park City and in Idaho that seem to stay in a very small footprint (4-5'?). But I haven't found a nursery that knows what I'm talking about. Any help would be appreciated. I have started with a clump birch, a japanese maple, and a bakeri spruce (must be a dwarf as it says it will only grow to ten feet (6' wide).
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- I have a huge weeping willow in my front yard. My next door neighbor swears the root system has invaded her septic line. She had a globe will previously taken out that was about 10 feet from her main water line while my weeper is about 30. My own line is about 15 feet from the weeper. Is there any validation to her statement?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- I want to plant raspberries in my garden next spring but am confused. Which does better in Cache Valley: summer- or fall-bearing? The USU pub on raspberry production (HG/2004-16) says plant only Haida or Malling Joy, but I haven't found anything about these species on the web. Is this statement still valid? If so, are they fall- or summer-bearing? If not, what is your species suggestion?
- Last summer I made some strawberry jam which I water canned in pint jars according to the directions in the pectin box. It seemed that all the lids sealed (they all popped). Now, though, the jam doesn't look quite right to me--it's a bit brown, especially toward the top of the jars. I'm a little wary of eating or even trying it. What could have caused this? Should I throw it out?
- I have red raspberries that produced very well this year. But now the old canes have turned yellow, brown and crispy. Is this normal or do I have a virus in them? Do I prune out old canes now or in the spring? And can I transplant starts to a new patch or should I buy new plants?