Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I was wondering how long to cook a 15 lb beef roast in the oven & at what temperature. Do I need to add water? Cover with foil? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
To answer your question, beef roasts can be done in a moderately slow oven (325 degrees) and need to be cooked 22-30 minutes per pound, depending on doneness. So for example, a 10 pound beef roast to be done should be cooked approximately 4 hours 10 minutes (at 25 minutes per pound). A 15-lb roast would take nearly 6.5 hours. Covering with a lid or foil is helpful to retain moisture inside the pan and keep the roast moist and I would recommend this for such a large roast so the outside of the roast doesn't get too done and dry before the inside is cooked). You don't have to add moisture when roasting, but pouring on some beef broth (use a bullion cube or spoonful of granules or a canned broth) over top of the roast and basting during the roasting process will increase it's tenderness and moistness when finished. Again,in this case, I would recommend that you do this as the roast will be in the over for a long time (unless you cut it up into two smaller roasts You should also use a meat thermometer to test doneness. Beef roasts need to be done to 145 degrees F to be food-safe. The only way to know for sure is to test using a meat thermometer. See the link below for a thermometer chart on doneness (we also have these as fridge magnets available at our office for $0.10 each).
You could also go to USDA's Is It Done Yet website for more information. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/is_it_done_yet/
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I found weevil in my flour, I have fruit flies, or there are other pantry pests in my kitchen, what do I do?
- My turkey brining recipe calls for 4 juniper berries crushed in the brine. Can I use the berries from my yard shrubs for this purpose?
- what is the best way to clean whole wheat? I am living in Korea and have purchased some wheat that appears to need cleaning, but I don't know how to do it/
- As I've grown older I've lost my appetite, can I get it back?
- I'm in the middle of baking cookies, the recipe calls for baking powder and I am out. Is there a substitute?
- Do you have tips to help prevent dehydration?
- How can I eat healthier at fast food restaurants?
- I am going out of the country for a few years and will be unable to purchase powdered sugar and also tomato paste where I will be living. Is there a way I can make these things myself using very basic products?