Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I was wondering how long to cook a 15 lb beef roast in the oven & at what temperature. Do I need to add water? Cover with foil? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
To answer your question, beef roasts can be done in a moderately slow oven (325 degrees) and need to be cooked 22-30 minutes per pound, depending on doneness. So for example, a 10 pound beef roast to be done should be cooked approximately 4 hours 10 minutes (at 25 minutes per pound). A 15-lb roast would take nearly 6.5 hours. Covering with a lid or foil is helpful to retain moisture inside the pan and keep the roast moist and I would recommend this for such a large roast so the outside of the roast doesn't get too done and dry before the inside is cooked). You don't have to add moisture when roasting, but pouring on some beef broth (use a bullion cube or spoonful of granules or a canned broth) over top of the roast and basting during the roasting process will increase it's tenderness and moistness when finished. Again,in this case, I would recommend that you do this as the roast will be in the over for a long time (unless you cut it up into two smaller roasts You should also use a meat thermometer to test doneness. Beef roasts need to be done to 145 degrees F to be food-safe. The only way to know for sure is to test using a meat thermometer. See the link below for a thermometer chart on doneness (we also have these as fridge magnets available at our office for $0.10 each).
You could also go to USDA's Is It Done Yet website for more information. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/is_it_done_yet/
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I encourage nutritious eating habits in my preschooler?
- Is tomato soup and tomato sauce safe to eat if they squirt out of the can when they are opened?
- The power went out, is the food in my refrigerator/freezer still o.k. to eat?
- Can I have my pumpkin and eat it too?
- Is it possible to grow blueberries in Utah County? If so, what do I need to do to help them thrive?
- Would you answer some questions about food irradation?
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- I left a pot of soup out after dinner last night; I went to bed and forgot about it. Is it safe to eat if I boil the soup really hard for a long time?