Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
Rate This FAQ
Since this is the second year showing problems with flowering, the problem may have started as long as three years ago. Flowering cherry trees are relatively short life.
Here is a link to Clemson University Extension fact sheet on ornamental flowering trees including cherry. Click on http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/pdf/hgic1018.pdf
Listed under problems, is this excerpt:
Flowering cherries are susceptible to many problems, including cherry virus diseases, canker, twig blight, root rot, powdery mildew, bacterial and fungal leaf spots, borers, aphids, tent caterpillar, and scale. Bark is thin and easily damaged by mowers and string trimmers. Reduce chances of disease and insects by keeping trees healthy with irrigation in extended drought and regular fertilizer applications.
So problems may be age related, reaching end of life span.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to prune my lilac bush. What is the best time of year to do so and how much can be cut back and not harm the bush?
- I live in riverton and want to plant triple crown blackberries and dwarf northblue blueberries. Do you have any suggestions or help?
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- Just moved to where we have a very large backyard. I want to plant a large variety of fruit trees, but I don't know what will grow well in this climate. What types of fruit grow best in the Salt Lake area? (eg peaches, apples, nectarines....?) And which kind of each fruit would you suggest? I'm also new to this, so where should I go to buy the trees and find info on how to grow them correctly?
- We bought a house that has quaking aspens around the perimeter of the yard. About half of them are dying or are already dead. What can we do to prevent the rest of them from dying, and what should we do with the dead trees?