Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
Rate This FAQ
Since this is the second year showing problems with flowering, the problem may have started as long as three years ago. Flowering cherry trees are relatively short life.
Here is a link to Clemson University Extension fact sheet on ornamental flowering trees including cherry. Click on http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/pdf/hgic1018.pdf
Listed under problems, is this excerpt:
Flowering cherries are susceptible to many problems, including cherry virus diseases, canker, twig blight, root rot, powdery mildew, bacterial and fungal leaf spots, borers, aphids, tent caterpillar, and scale. Bark is thin and easily damaged by mowers and string trimmers. Reduce chances of disease and insects by keeping trees healthy with irrigation in extended drought and regular fertilizer applications.
So problems may be age related, reaching end of life span.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- The leaves on my strawberry plants have turned a very pale green or yellow with some brown on the edges what do they need?
- It looks like something has bitten off whole leaves and blossoms from my tomato plants. They seem to be cut clean. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?
- We have 2 honeylocust trees in our yard. I would guess "Imperial honeylocust". They seem to be about 15 years old or so. They are spaced about 20 feet apart. This spring one has leafed out and the other is still not budding or leafing out. Over the winter, the one that is not budding turned bright red on the trunk, which we have never seen before. The tree is getting a very few buds and leaves on some main branches (like suckers) but no buds or leaves on the outer limbs. Is there anything we can do to save this tree?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?
- I have an apricot tree that is so heavy laden with fruit that it broke a major branch yesterday leaving me with about a half bushel of partially ripened fruit. Can any of it be saved? What should I do?
- I am a landscape designer and have a client in Hyrum with an orchard of about 25 misc. fruit trees. Of course the clients want low maintenance. What is a good way to control weeds in the orchard? Turf? Bare soil and cultivation? Bark mulch? If turf is a good option, what variety? Thanks.