Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am considering a weeping willow for my back yard. I have not heard good things about them being planted in Salt Lake. What is your opinion, and would I be better going with a different species or will a willow be fine?
Rate This FAQ
Good tree selection depends on your soil and site characteristics. Weeping willows like a lot of water, grow fast and die young. The best thing to do for helping you decide what tree to select is using the Utah State University Tree Browser. Click on this link http://www.treebrowser.org . On left hand side you select the characteristics you want, and then it narrows down the list from over 241 tree species to the species that fit your criteria. It has helpful information with fact sheet on each species and photos of the trees with close up of leaves.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've just moved here from Maryland and I'm starting to landscape our yard. I've noticed that none of my neighbors use mulch in their flower beds. Why is that? I thought mulch helped to keep the soil moist as well as keep out the weeds. Plus you can till it back into the soil in the fall for aeration.
- Two questions; I have an dwarf Honey Crisp apple tree that is about 5 years old. Last year it had a dozen apples. I didn't disturb the fruit spurs when I picked the fruit. This year there were no blossoms on the tree. I didn't prune it at all. What can I do to help it produce every year? Second question; I have peach borers in the main branches of my nectarine tree. The tree seems healthy other than the borers. What can I do about them at this point? Will it help to dig them out? Will it help to spray? Will they winter over to next year?
- Is it good to cut the lawn shorter right before winter? I normally cut my lawn quite high, but it seems like I heard that it is good to cut it shorter for winter. Thanks.
- What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?
- Last fall I bought a daffodil mixture. They bloomed great this spring, but in October they have all started to come up. What's going on?
- I have some fruit trees in a lawn area that I have been fertilizing with ammonium sulfate, but needed to change to a weed & feed. Is the fruit still safe to eat?
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?
- How can I tell if the spider I found is a hobo spider?