Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
Rate This FAQ
You didn't say where you live, but the Mexican fruit fly would be a rarity if ever found here in Utah. It normally is in Central America, Mexico, Southern Texas and southern Florida.. It can be identified by the long ovipositor on the female. Look on Google images to see one. The Western Cherry fruit fly is common around here and lays eggs on the cherries when they turn straw yellow. They also have bands on the wings. They don't, however, lay eggs on the apples. The wormy apples are caused by a coddling moth that lays its eggs on the fruit. The coddling moth needs to be sprayed frequently, usually every seven days, depending on the insecticide. Spraying should continue through the first week in September. The spray for the cherries begins when the cherries turn a straw yellow, some with a touch of pink beneath, (salmon colored). It should continue up to harvest. The frequency depends on the spray used. If you have further questions, call us at 851-8462 Pat Fugal, master gardener
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am trying to identify a tree that grows all over St. George area. It has a beautiful pink bloom, elongated oval leaf, small- med. height tree. It's been identified to me as a chitolpe tree? It's not an avacado tree.
- I have 2 red tipped photinas in my front yard against the house (south facing). They were great for the first 3 years, but now, for the last 2 winters the leaves have dried out and dropped in the spring. I thought it was a lack of water over the winter, so I tried to help out, but that didnt help. Should I prune them back in the fall or is there anything I can do to help them so this doesn't happen next winter?
- Is it good to cut the lawn shorter right before winter? I normally cut my lawn quite high, but it seems like I heard that it is good to cut it shorter for winter. Thanks.
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
- Some of the bottom leafs on my tomato plants have turned brown and are dying. I have lost one plant and it looks like another may go soon. I am watering three to four times per week and I have been putting a liquid fertilizer on the plants about once a week. Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong?
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- i was baking a chicken casserole last night. the power went out after about 30 minutes of baking. i put it in the fridge. then, i cooked it for 1 and 1/2 hours more when the power came back on 3 hours later. i put it back in the frige. is it safe to eat tonight?