Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
Rate This FAQ
You didn't say where you live, but the Mexican fruit fly would be a rarity if ever found here in Utah. It normally is in Central America, Mexico, Southern Texas and southern Florida.. It can be identified by the long ovipositor on the female. Look on Google images to see one. The Western Cherry fruit fly is common around here and lays eggs on the cherries when they turn straw yellow. They also have bands on the wings. They don't, however, lay eggs on the apples. The wormy apples are caused by a coddling moth that lays its eggs on the fruit. The coddling moth needs to be sprayed frequently, usually every seven days, depending on the insecticide. Spraying should continue through the first week in September. The spray for the cherries begins when the cherries turn a straw yellow, some with a touch of pink beneath, (salmon colored). It should continue up to harvest. The frequency depends on the spray used. If you have further questions, call us at 851-8462 Pat Fugal, master gardener
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in salt lake city, and have very hard rocky soil. I would like to plant a few varieties of trees for shade and decor (like to enjoy them in my own lifetime)I realize I'll need to excavate for good soil and root ball. Any suggestions?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- I would like to plant some fruit and nut bearing trees to assist us with our food supply. Are there some trees better than others?
- Is there another alternative to getting rid of ferry ring in a lawn than by removing the soil?
- We bought a house that has quaking aspens around the perimeter of the yard. About half of them are dying or are already dead. What can we do to prevent the rest of them from dying, and what should we do with the dead trees?
- I have beautiful hosta and fern plants growing outside. How do I protect them so they will survive the winter? Do I need to dig them up and bring them inside?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?