Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
Rate This FAQ
You didn't say where you live, but the Mexican fruit fly would be a rarity if ever found here in Utah. It normally is in Central America, Mexico, Southern Texas and southern Florida.. It can be identified by the long ovipositor on the female. Look on Google images to see one. The Western Cherry fruit fly is common around here and lays eggs on the cherries when they turn straw yellow. They also have bands on the wings. They don't, however, lay eggs on the apples. The wormy apples are caused by a coddling moth that lays its eggs on the fruit. The coddling moth needs to be sprayed frequently, usually every seven days, depending on the insecticide. Spraying should continue through the first week in September. The spray for the cherries begins when the cherries turn a straw yellow, some with a touch of pink beneath, (salmon colored). It should continue up to harvest. The frequency depends on the spray used. If you have further questions, call us at 851-8462 Pat Fugal, master gardener
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I eradicate an OLD ivy? This has a trunk like a small tree and vast growth on a wall. I'd like to put in a carport and have been hacking at this ivy but am concerned it will grow back. Can I paint the cut trunk to stop re-growth? Would a copper nail kill it? Thanks!
- My Black Walnut tree is leaking sap terribly. What's wrong?
- Our blue spruce has been around for 30 years. but the new buds have no needles and they are brown. Even up the center of the tree is brown with no needles. My father has put a bed of rocks around it and I am not sure if it is affecting it. We also had two crimson maples and they lost all of their leaves half way through summer. This year there are no leaves at all. Do the trees have disease?
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- i bought my house in november it had no grass just a huge goat head problem. I have burned, scraped, and sprayed a couple of times. Three weeks ago I planted grass seed, my lawn looks great thick and about 4 inches tall, but now I have goat heads growing all over. Do you think 2-4-D weed killer would work without hurting my lawn or do you have another suggestion?
- We bought a house that has quaking aspens around the perimeter of the yard. About half of them are dying or are already dead. What can we do to prevent the rest of them from dying, and what should we do with the dead trees?
- I have red raspberries that produced very well this year. But now the old canes have turned yellow, brown and crispy. Is this normal or do I have a virus in them? Do I prune out old canes now or in the spring? And can I transplant starts to a new patch or should I buy new plants?
- I have a small strip (about 1-1 1/2 feet) in front of my brick house that needs to be separated from my front lawn. I would like to put bricks or something to keep the grass from coming through. What would you suggest to use to separate the two areas? What would you suggest to plant?