Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
Rate This FAQ
You didn't say where you live, but the Mexican fruit fly would be a rarity if ever found here in Utah. It normally is in Central America, Mexico, Southern Texas and southern Florida.. It can be identified by the long ovipositor on the female. Look on Google images to see one. The Western Cherry fruit fly is common around here and lays eggs on the cherries when they turn straw yellow. They also have bands on the wings. They don't, however, lay eggs on the apples. The wormy apples are caused by a coddling moth that lays its eggs on the fruit. The coddling moth needs to be sprayed frequently, usually every seven days, depending on the insecticide. Spraying should continue through the first week in September. The spray for the cherries begins when the cherries turn a straw yellow, some with a touch of pink beneath, (salmon colored). It should continue up to harvest. The frequency depends on the spray used. If you have further questions, call us at 851-8462 Pat Fugal, master gardener
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We recently bought a home in Salt Lake city. The parking strip has very hard soil and weeds mixed with grass. Should we till it under and start over or air-rate it, keep it watered and sprinkle some grass seed on it in the fall or spring? We planted a sycomore tree (Bloodgood London Plane) and I think we stressed it by overwatering. About 50% of the leaves look sun scorched, some very dry and other leaves are green, full and lush, will it snap out of it? Should I air-rate the ground with a pitch fork around it?
- What kind of Strawberry plant do you recommend? I remember Crocket's Victory Garden recommending an ever bearing one for the New England area.
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
- How close together can flowering pear trees be planted?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- When is it too late to prune back the tops of peach trees that have gotten too high?