Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Would like to know how many drops in one ounce of water equals how many parts per million? Or quart ect.
Rate This FAQ
Parts Per Million (PPM)
A unit of concentration often used when measuring levels of pollutants in air, water, body fluids, etc. One ppm is 1 part in 1,000,000. The common unit mg/liter is equal to ppm. Four drops of ink in a 55-gallon barrel of water would produce an "ink concentration" of 1 ppm.
Parts Per Billion (PPB)
One part per billion is 1 part in 1,000,000,000. One drop of ink in one of the largest tanker trucks used to haul gasoline would represent 1 ppb.
The difference between 1 ppm and 1 ppb is important. A prestigious scientific journal recently reported the concentration of a substance as 0.5-1.5 ppm. The real value was 0.5-1.5 ppb. The difference between $1 and $1000!
Parts Per Trillion (PPT)
A unit of concentration used to measure vanishingly small levels of pollutants or contaminants in, for example, body fluids. One ppt is 1 part in 1,000,000,000,000. One drop of ink distributed through the water contained in a total of 4 of the 3-million-gallon reservoirs pictured would result in a final concentration of 1 ppt.
The remarkable advances in the sensitivity of modern analytical techniques makes it possible to detect some substances at the ppt level whose presence would not have been detected using earlier assay methods.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I purchased some sealed pouches of cornmeal in 1999. It has been stored sometimes in wrm climates nd for the last 3 years in a cool climatel Is it still good and useable? Thank you in advance. Jim Burkey
- I live in Provo Canyon and want a peach tree that grows big, wonderful, juicy, beautiful peaches (not so much for canning but for deserts). Do you have a recommendation?
- Can a Person safely eat the head of any venomous snake? If not, why?
- Do habanero peppers ripen on the vine?
- Can you substitute cooking oil for shortening/lard in a cake recipe in equal parts?
- I was wondering how long to cook a 15 lb beef roast in the oven & at what temperature. Do I need to add water? Cover with foil? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
- Do you have a safe tomato salsa recipe that incorporates green peppers?
- Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?