Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
Rate This FAQ
The most important thing about watering is getting enough water to the root zone, so that the soil is not saturated, leaving oxygen in the soil for root and plant growth. This 1-2" is adapted from overhead sprinklers heads that usually have an output measured in inches. Difficult to give watering recommendations in general because everyone has different irrigation systems, different soil types, different microclimates.
Perhaps this USU publication on irrigation may help. Click on http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/ENGR_BIE_WM-37.pdf
Best is using drip irrigation for vegetables, depending on your soils, getting enough water to root zones. Better to water less frequently and deeper. In sandy soils, you'll need to water more often whereas in heavier clay soils, not so often. With drip irrigation, you can usually water deeply and get by with one to two times a week, depending on air temperatures & wind.
Blood meal can be used, but can burn plants, better to use it sparingly when side dressing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- What of the drought grasses mentioned Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideouts grama grass, would most likely trigger allergy issues? Which one the least? Where to buy? Plant as sod? May we have instructions on "planting," care and maintanence, please?
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- I want to plant raspberries in my garden next spring but am confused. Which does better in Cache Valley: summer- or fall-bearing? The USU pub on raspberry production (HG/2004-16) says plant only Haida or Malling Joy, but I haven't found anything about these species on the web. Is this statement still valid? If so, are they fall- or summer-bearing? If not, what is your species suggestion?