Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
Rate This FAQ
There are two books I looked through to find some ideas of where you can start. One book is the Water-Wise Landscaping book put out by the USU Extension and the other book is Water Wise: Native Plants for Intermountain Landscapes. With about 2-3 feet wide with a retaining wall on one side it rules out putting trees in which the root system might ruin the wall. So, I started with mostly shrubs which could handle pruning and also not get too big (over 6 feet tall). Some of the plants which I suggest are, serviceberry, mountain mahogany, mockorange, columnar junipers, fernbush, dogwoods, potentilla, golden current, pea shrub, sand cherry, and snowberry.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- My mugo pine is turning an orange color and the needles are dropping. What caused this and can it be saved?
- I have a large mature cherry tree that over the past 3 weeks has had its leaves turn from green to yellow and now die off (July). I have not changed any watering patterns. The trunk "crotch" has debris, and small crawly wormy insects. How can I treat? Is it too late? It's a lovely tree, provides great shade and privacy.
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- My apple tree is starting to blossom. I love the apples but they always get wormy. When is the best time to spray them and with what?