Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
Rate This FAQ
Best wood is something that can hold up to getting wet and is not treated with chemicals, that possibly leach into your vegetables.
Cedar or redwood is good but expensive. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend and how long you want these boxes to last. Pine is cheaper, but will rot out sooner.
University of Missouri Extension has a good article on raised bed gardening with many options you might consider. Click on http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=g6985
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.
- Flowering Pear trees. I have some mature "Chanticleer" flowering pears. For the last 2 years, the new foliage has emerged with curled leaves and a white, cottony substance. This condition seems to lessen with the hot weather, but the foliage doesn't seem to totally look healthy like when the trees were younger. What is it and can it be treated?
- I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- I have varmits that are ruining my lawn during the winter (under snow). They make trails and destroy the lawn about 4 inches wide. I can find no holes only the trails and dead grass flipped to the side of the trails. Any ideas? We are going crazy trying to figure this out. We have never had this problem until last year.
- I have a red photina thats leaves, in part of the bush, seemed like they were burnt. Is it a disease that these bushes can get? If I cut it back all the way, will all of the bush come out of it or should I get rid of the bush? The photina next to it is just fine.
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?