Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?
Rate This FAQ
Generally, anything close to freezing, which is 32 degrees. That doesn't take into account other variables such as hardening off plants prior to transplant.
Many ways of dealing with cold temperatures like wall-o-waters, floating row covers, high tunnels which are all season extenders to deal with freezing temperatures.
Here is a table with vegetables and average planting dates to avoid freezing of warm season vegetables http://www.co.utah.ut.us/dept/exten/Data/vegetableutah.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last year in June or July pesticide (Ortho Home) was used all over my yard...and in my garden. I didn't realize the dangers of pesticide, until after it had been sprayed/poured all over. Is it safe to plant a vegetable garden this year, or is the pesticide still present in my garden? Is there a way to get my soil tested to make sure it's safe? Thanks, Brandi
- I just bought a house and the yard is a mess. We have multiple varieties of grasses and weeds, dry spots, dead spots and rodent damage. I am a staunch do-it-yourselfer but the number of different problems to attack is overwhelming. Where is the best place to get educated or to get started? If I take a bunch of digital pictures of the various problems and plant types is there someplace I can take them to get good advice? Tru Green also came by and said we have grubs, but all they did was LOOK at the grass. I can pull up the dirt myself, but I don't know what to look for.
- I am trying to identify a tree that grows all over St. George area. It has a beautiful pink bloom, elongated oval leaf, small- med. height tree. It's been identified to me as a chitolpe tree? It's not an avacado tree.
- I have an 11 year old sugar maple. For the past few years the leaves have been getting more and more yellow. I bought an iron product, read the directions, and sprinkled it around the base. Instead of turning green the leaves are still yellow and small brown spots all over them. Help!
- I planted a Chanticleer pear tree about two weeks ago (mid June) in Perry. I watered it everyday for about 5-6 days and have since cut back to 1-2 times per week. Many of the leaves are very dry and crumble when squeezed. Have I been over watering or under watering my tree? How often should I water it or is it already too late for my tree?
- Whenever I go into the supermarket in the summer time I see people picking out watermelons and talking about bee stings as indicators of a good melon, but I thought bees only sting when threatened and that the sting contains a venom. Is there any correlation between the marks on watermelon and bees? Adam
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?