Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We tilled our garden and planted peas and lettuce about three weeks ago. Nothing has come up yet. We were talking to our neighbor yesterday, and he told us that about 30-40 years ago, in a fit of vexation, the former owner spread an industrial strength soil sterilizing chemical on the area in which we planted our garden. He further explained that weeds have only started to grow in that area in the past 5-10 years. This information has caused my wife to give up on trying to cultivate this area. Should we give up? What can we do to amend the soil in this area?
Rate This FAQ
Soil sterilizing chemicals can last in the soil for many years. They tend to move with water, so the low areas where water drains is where you will find higher concentrations of the soil sterilizing chemical. I would suggest doing above the grown grow-boxes.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- We are putting in sod in our front yard - not a lot of traffic. Would like you opinion on if we should put in Kentucky Blue Grass or a biograss?
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- Can I legally drill a small water well (or two) under 30 feet deep in my back yard without a permit?
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?