Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We tilled our garden and planted peas and lettuce about three weeks ago. Nothing has come up yet. We were talking to our neighbor yesterday, and he told us that about 30-40 years ago, in a fit of vexation, the former owner spread an industrial strength soil sterilizing chemical on the area in which we planted our garden. He further explained that weeds have only started to grow in that area in the past 5-10 years. This information has caused my wife to give up on trying to cultivate this area. Should we give up? What can we do to amend the soil in this area?
Rate This FAQ
Soil sterilizing chemicals can last in the soil for many years. They tend to move with water, so the low areas where water drains is where you will find higher concentrations of the soil sterilizing chemical. I would suggest doing above the grown grow-boxes.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- We live in a suburb near the mountains and have a lot of deer wandering through our neighborhood eating our flowers and vegetable gardens. They are not afraid of people and walk through our backyard any time of day. What can we spray on the garden plants to stop them from eating them?
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?
- How can I control earwigs in my home and garden?
- My lawn has distinct areas that are brown next to healthy areas. The brown areas are covered in small holes.
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.