Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?
Rate This FAQ
Walnut trees, black walnut & English walnut and other closely related trees, have a chemical compound called juglone, which inhibits growth of other plants. This gives walnut a competitive edge, so other plants have a more difficult time growing because of juglone.
We do not recommend people to collect leaves, nuts, or twigs from walnut trees and put into compost exactly for this reason. Grass, groundcovers, many plants will not survive under walnut trees. Best advice it to cover the roots of trees with 2-4 inches of organic mulch such as bark nuggets that will prevent weeds, moderate moisture and temperature of soil as far out as the drip line of the tree.
Here is a link to an extension article on juglone and effects on other plants. Click on http://www.wvu.edu/~Agexten/hortcult/fruits/blkwalnt.htm
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I need to have my yard/garden soil tested. Who do I contact? Besides weeds, I am not able to grow any vegetables, no matter how much weeding or watering I do.
- We have a weed in our hay field that is choking out the field in quite a large area. The weed has a hard stem with heart shaped leaves about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size around the stem leading to seed pods that look like flowers that are hard and have a seed in them. The seed is red and the husk around them is green when the seed leaves the husk is white, stem is hard green and stick like.
- I have beautiful hosta and fern plants growing outside. How do I protect them so they will survive the winter? Do I need to dig them up and bring them inside?
- I have a large, old walnut tree in my front yard. The bark on the east/northeast side of the tree is separating from the trunk. Is this a sign of disease or other problems? And can I peel the bark off the tree or will that hurt the tree?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- I'm planning on using Imidan on my fruit trees. I would like to use a sprayer, but all the application information I've found is in lbs per acre. How much Imidan should I use per gallon.