Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I think I have Johnsongrass invading my back lawn. I has sprayed the usual Crabgrass/lawn grassy weed killer on it and it is still taking over my entire lawn. What can I do?
Rate This FAQ
Here is a link to Johnson grass control from University of Missouri Extension. The excerpt below on control emphasizes an integrated approach, that is using many different methods to manage the Johnson grass, there is not a silver bullet but an integrated pest management approach to deal with this weed.
link to the article is http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=g4872
Preventing johnsongrass from becoming established in new areas is the best available control method, because the weed spreads in so many ways. Because johnsongrass is a perennial weed, single cultural control measures or herbicide applications rarely provide adequate control.
Johnsongrass control programs should
* Prevent spread of rhizomes from infested to uninfested areas.
* Kill or weaken established plants and their underground rhizome system.
* Control seedlings originating from shattered seed.
* Prevent production of seed and its spread to new areas.
* Use fall tillage to bring rhizomes to soil surface, where they may be killed by winter conditions.
These objectives are closely related and are equally important to the success or failure of a control program. In limited infestations, it is possible and desirable to use herbicides to kill the weed and prevent seed production. The critical time to kill johnsongrass is while the weed is becoming established and before it has spread over the entire field. For sites with established infestations, a fall application of Roundup or Touchdown will kill emerged tissue and often developing rhizomes.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- I have a Saucer Magnolia Tree. I purchased it about 4 years ago, every year I see no growth. It has bloomed every year. But it just seems like I would see some growth? This year the leaves are yellow. I have a picture. Am I missing something? What can I do?
- We have a space along the north side of our house that is shady most of the day. We are wondering what we can plant there. It is right beside the house and we would like to put something that is edible in that space? We wanted to put in strawberries but decided it was probably too shady for them.
- I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?
- We would like to remove the lawn from a large area around some 40-50 ft pine trees and cover the area with decorative bark. The roots are close enough to the surface in some areas that using a sod cutter would damage the trees. Would it work to just spray the grass with a killer, such as Roundup, and then put the bark directly on the dead grass? Would this affect the trees in the areas of the partially exposed roots? Any other suggestions?
- I have red raspberries that produced very well this year. But now the old canes have turned yellow, brown and crispy. Is this normal or do I have a virus in them? Do I prune out old canes now or in the spring? And can I transplant starts to a new patch or should I buy new plants?