Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
Rate This FAQ
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 6th advisory, the degree day accumulations in Salt Lake are 500 & 517. See next excerpt:
The timing of your spray depends on the development
of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at
1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies
cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the
cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline
for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of
the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
So as temperatures go up and degree days accumulate, you'll want to spray at total of 1060, and advisories have that information weekly.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We bought a house that has quaking aspens around the perimeter of the yard. About half of them are dying or are already dead. What can we do to prevent the rest of them from dying, and what should we do with the dead trees?
- Two Questions: 1. When do Gooseberries flower? 2. When is the best time to plant tulips?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- I just moved to SLC from Phx,Az and many of the plants here are new to me. I have some flowers in my yard that resemble "Blue Dicks" closely but, the flowers do not cluster -- they each form on a single stem and have been flowering since the end of April. I also have some Violet-like flowers growing in my lawn at about the same height as the grass. I would like to know what they might be and where I might be able to purchase seed or bulbs of the same type so I can plant more
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?