Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
Rate This FAQ
The best thing to do is to check the USU Fruit Tree IPM(Integrated Pest Management) Advisories that are emailed weekly to subscribers, or you can check online.
To check advisories go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit
To subscribe go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions
As of May 6th advisory, the degree day accumulations in Salt Lake are 500 & 517. See next excerpt:
The timing of your spray depends on the development
of the fruit. We usually recommend starting applications at
1060 degree days after March 1 (base 41). However, the flies
cannot penetrate the skin of the cherry to lay eggs until the
cherry has developed a salmon-blush color. So use that guideline
for when to start spraying. Check the fruits at the top of
the tree and in the sunniest locations as these will color up
This excerpt came from last year (20080 advisory, go to http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/files/uploads/AdvisoryUpdates/Advisory08/Fruit-IPM-05-28-08.pdf to see photo of cherry fruit appearance for timing of spray.
So as temperatures go up and degree days accumulate, you'll want to spray at total of 1060, and advisories have that information weekly.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have many Chanticleer pear's in my yard. Each year they swarm with Wasps during the day. There are not any nests in them. Is there anything I can do or spray to remove them? They have been swarming many of my Quakies as well. I have read online that it could be from aphids on the trees and the Wasps go after the sugary substance the aphids leave behind. I have noticed on my Quakies that there are small holes on some leaves which might mean aphids, but on the Chanticleer's there are not any holes on the leaves so I don't think aphids would be on those. Please help the wasps are out of control on these trees.
- I have a huge weeping willow in my front yard. My next door neighbor swears the root system has invaded her septic line. She had a globe will previously taken out that was about 10 feet from her main water line while my weeper is about 30. My own line is about 15 feet from the weeper. Is there any validation to her statement?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- I would like to have a live, potted evergreen as my Christmas tree, and then plant it in my yard. Must the decorated tree remain outside? What species of tree would you recommend?
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?