Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
Rate This FAQ
Most grass in our Utah landscapes are Kentucky Blue Grass and it does not like much shade. It looks sparse because it is not getting enough light to grow properly. Tall fescue tolerates shade better and you might consider reseeding that area with tall fescue. However, if there is heavy shade, there are no grasses that grow in full shade. You could look at USU Publication on Turfgrass cultivars http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/Turfgrass.pdf for more information.
You may consider using plants more tolerant of shade like some other ground cover such as Vinca (Vinca minor) or Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi).
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
- I just recently moved into a home that has these terrible "soda straw" type weeds that I can't get rid of. They pop apart and look like tall drinking straws. I have sprayed them with multiple rounds of poison (extra strength!) and dug them out by hand 2 or three times. They are coming back stronger than ever. What should I do?
- I have just moved into this new house and I have all these raspberry bushes. They have produced a crop of fruit and I went out and picked lots of berries. The berries themselves look very nice but they are a little small. When I brought them in the house I noticed a couple different kind of pests on them. A black little beetle looking bug and a little tiny bug that resembled the hair on the raspberry. I washed them off, cleaned them and ate them. Now I am all panicked that I will get sick. They tasted good but I have myself all freaked out not knowing if all the bugs got off. Will they hurt me? I want to make raspberry jam with all the berries I have. Is that safe?
- How close together can flowering pear trees be planted?
- I planted a spanish fir in my yard just two weeks ago. It appears to be dying. How often should I be watering it? And how much water should I be giving it each time that I water?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- I have black spots on my tomato plant leaves and some on the main stem. Will it kill the plant? Can I get rid of it? Will it apread to the soil or other plants? HELP. I see it in most of the greehouses I have been to. Is it to late to find someone with a place to find a clean tomato plant and still plant it and get fruit?
- My peach trees seem to have something sappy oozing from the trunk, somewhere between the middle and top part. I thought borers were usually at the bottom of the trunk. Is it a spread of borers?