Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
Rate This FAQ
Most grass in our Utah landscapes are Kentucky Blue Grass and it does not like much shade. It looks sparse because it is not getting enough light to grow properly. Tall fescue tolerates shade better and you might consider reseeding that area with tall fescue. However, if there is heavy shade, there are no grasses that grow in full shade. You could look at USU Publication on Turfgrass cultivars http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/Turfgrass.pdf for more information.
You may consider using plants more tolerant of shade like some other ground cover such as Vinca (Vinca minor) or Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi).
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- I am preparing to sod my front yard in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a grass that is hardy, drought and weed resistant. I also have a dog that can be somewhat hard on grass. I looked into Zoysia grass, but determined it wasn't a really great grass for this climate. What would you suggest, and where might I find it in Northern Utah?
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?
- It looks like something has bitten off whole leaves and blossoms from my tomato plants. They seem to be cut clean. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- I planted four Patmore Green Ash trees in my yard and they all have circular hole bite marks on all the leaves. I cannot see any insects on them. Do you have any idea what might be eating the leaves and how I can get rid of them?