Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
Rate This FAQ
Most grass in our Utah landscapes are Kentucky Blue Grass and it does not like much shade. It looks sparse because it is not getting enough light to grow properly. Tall fescue tolerates shade better and you might consider reseeding that area with tall fescue. However, if there is heavy shade, there are no grasses that grow in full shade. You could look at USU Publication on Turfgrass cultivars http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/Turfgrass.pdf for more information.
You may consider using plants more tolerant of shade like some other ground cover such as Vinca (Vinca minor) or Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi).
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- I have a peach tree with lots of little branches that look burnt at the ends. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but the ends of the branches keep turning black and dying.
- Do you have the names of companies or individuals who spray fruit trees in the spring and summer to prevent bugs and disease?
- Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy or how to make a truly sturdy tomato cage? The "standard" metal ones I have bought at garden centers have always tipped over when the plant has gotten big.
- We don't have morning glory in our lawn, but it is taking over our strawberries. Is there anything we can do? If we decide we'd rather get rid of the morning glory instead of saving the strawberries, will roundup get rid of it?
- My purple crown locust has never bloomed in the 5 years that I've had it and the past two years in the summer whole branches of leaves are dying off. Should I remove it and start over?
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?