Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When do spray for the cotteling moths, Apple worms?
Rate This FAQ
This is a common question and an answer is already in the USU FAQs. Click on the following link http://utahpests.usu.edu/insects/htm/faq/faq_q=253
As for timing, the monitoring traps are around the different counties, and each county has different degree days and temperatures when codling moth emerges.
Go to the Tree Fruit IPM Advisory at http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/advisories/treefruit. According to the most recent advisory dated April 28, 2009 - no codling moth has been found yet in Salt Lake County.
The Tree Fruit advisories recommend based on traps when to spray. You can subscribe via email to get this information http://utahpests.usu.edu/ipm/htm/subscriptions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a house in Kanab with a lot of Desert Poppies and Blue Flax Grass that is pretty tall surrounded by Junipers in the front yard. I think I may have Noseeums. If so how do I get rid of them? I got bit up pretty bad last weekend working in the yard.
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- We planted linden trees this year and wrapped the trunks with white corrugated tubing to prevent sun scald in the winter. In looking at leaf damage on the outside border of the leaves, I noted that there were literally hundreds of small gray/black flying insects clustered under the tree wrap. What might they be and are they responsible for the chewed leaves? What treatment is needed?
- I have seen small white worms crawling on the fround around my home. Can you tell me what they are? They move very very slow and are in a group as they move.
- I have ants all over my yard. I also have domestic cats and wild birds. Is there any organic or other non-toxic way to kill the ants without putting poison in my yard? If not, what is the most effective, least toxic substance I can use?
- I had some trouble with Squash Bugs attacking my Spagetti Squash. Now my plants looks as if it may have Cucurbit Yellow Vine Disease (CYVD). Should I try to deteremine if its really CYVD and if it is, what do I need to do?
- Does Utah State University offer any beekeeping courses in the Layton, UT area? If so, what information is available?
- Every spring I get larger black ants coming into my house mostly in the kitchen. I also see them outside the house and climbing around the base structure. I have determined that they are not termites. I tried using a bate last year but unlike all of the smaller colonies of ants that I gave the bate to (which I haven't seen in the house only in the driveway and sidewalks) which immediately started loading it up to take back to the nest, these ants weren't interested. Is there a reason? What kind of ant might they be and therefore what kind of bate do I need to use?