Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in a suburb near the mountains and have a lot of deer wandering through our neighborhood eating our flowers and vegetable gardens. They are not afraid of people and walk through our backyard any time of day. What can we spray on the garden plants to stop them from eating them?
Rate This FAQ
This is common question and I'll refer you to a USU news article regarding deer and plants. Click on http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=3852. There is not a spray effective to deter deer from eating them. The best defense is to plant your landscape with plants deer do not like to eat. There also is a good article from Utah Division of Wildlife Resources on deterring deer. Click on http://wildlife.utah.gov/habitat/deer-browse.php. In that article a list of ornamental plants highly preferred by deer is included, so I would suggest, not planting those on the list, or substituting them with plants seldom preferred by deer also in the above article.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- The grass in certain areas of my lawn is not growing well. I've been told it may be due to the fact that they're adjacent to pine trees, and that fallen pine needles have caused locally acidic conditions. It is suggested that I apply Gypsum in these areas. Are the diagnoses and suggestions plausible ?
- I was told there was a worm that eats the goathead or Tribulus Terrestris is that true?
- I have a Blierana flowering plum tree that failed to leaf out fully this spring. I looked at it yesterday and found at least fifty places on the branches where a snake-like resin/sap has been pushed out of the branch. Is this a borer doing damage? What do I do? Should I remove the tree to prevent further damage to surrounding trees? Is there something I can spray? Can I ever plant a tree in this same spot? I have trees all along my fence line in a row and really need a replacement tree if this one is going to die.
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?
- Last May, I planted my living Christmas tree (5 foot Black Hills Spruce) after wintering it in a sheltered area with mulch. It was inside for only 3 days. It grew well all summer with little green buds until the first hard frost and then it died all at once. What happened? Was it the tree or the location? I live at 7,000 ft; the planting location is a little bit rocky and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!!!
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?