Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in a suburb near the mountains and have a lot of deer wandering through our neighborhood eating our flowers and vegetable gardens. They are not afraid of people and walk through our backyard any time of day. What can we spray on the garden plants to stop them from eating them?
Rate This FAQ
This is common question and I'll refer you to a USU news article regarding deer and plants. Click on http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=3852. There is not a spray effective to deter deer from eating them. The best defense is to plant your landscape with plants deer do not like to eat. There also is a good article from Utah Division of Wildlife Resources on deterring deer. Click on http://wildlife.utah.gov/habitat/deer-browse.php. In that article a list of ornamental plants highly preferred by deer is included, so I would suggest, not planting those on the list, or substituting them with plants seldom preferred by deer also in the above article.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have Morning glory though out my established lawn, how can I get rid of it?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
- When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?