Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
Rate This FAQ
I'll refer you to an article on USU Extension News which includes overseeding http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=2116 . Best time is fall, however you can also prep and seed in spring. Read over article about preparing before reseeding. As for covering, once seeds germinate, they'll need sun, so too much cover will not allow sunlight in. Best to keep moisture adequate so seeds can germinate. Realize that best thing is to stay off that part of the lawn.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.
- What of the drought grasses mentioned Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideouts grama grass, would most likely trigger allergy issues? Which one the least? Where to buy? Plant as sod? May we have instructions on "planting," care and maintanence, please?
- I just recently moved into a home that has these terrible "soda straw" type weeds that I can't get rid of. They pop apart and look like tall drinking straws. I have sprayed them with multiple rounds of poison (extra strength!) and dug them out by hand 2 or three times. They are coming back stronger than ever. What should I do?
- I have been told by a tree care company that my ash trees are infected with bores. They can be treated, and the trees should survive. Though my internet research I found ample information on emerald ash bore, however, that the research was largely on trees in Michigan. Would I have emerald ash bores, or do another type of bore exist in Utah? The tree care company suggested treatment in the spring, and another in the summer. Does that sound appropriate?
- My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- How do I keep lady bugs out of my house? Also, how do I keep out Asian Beetles?
- I had three Canadian Red Chokecherry (prunus virginiana L.) planted Oct 2007; 1 1/2" caliper, 13' tall. This spring, the leaves were a solid green; now they they are turning a purplish red. Is this normal?