Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
Rate This FAQ
I'll refer you to an article on USU Extension News which includes overseeding http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=2116 . Best time is fall, however you can also prep and seed in spring. Read over article about preparing before reseeding. As for covering, once seeds germinate, they'll need sun, so too much cover will not allow sunlight in. Best to keep moisture adequate so seeds can germinate. Realize that best thing is to stay off that part of the lawn.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We would like to know if Legacy Buffalo Grass would work alone in our back yard or whether we should mix it with something else. We are looking for a low water, low mowing frequency product that will work well with dogs who live inside but do run hard and play on it. We also like the pollen free feature of Buffalo Grass as one of our dogs has allergies and chews at her feet after being outside. We currently have mostly Bermuda grass and are in the process of killing it off. We live in Hooper and our yard is approximately 1/2 acre with a few young trees along the borders (which of course will get bigger). The trees are Mulberries, Cottonwoods, Red Oaks, Tulip Trees and Austrian Pines. Suggestions for mixes we have heard are Sheep's Fescue and Bella Bluegrass. Also, is there a place in Utah where we can buy these grasses so we don't have to pay a large price for shipping?
- How close together can flowering pear trees be planted?
- I have a large, old walnut tree in my front yard. The bark on the east/northeast side of the tree is separating from the trunk. Is this a sign of disease or other problems? And can I peel the bark off the tree or will that hurt the tree?
- We planted some scrub oak plants a few years ago that we got from a nursery. Although they come back every year they never get any bigger. They are still the same size as when we planted them. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it take off?
- I would like to put a barrier inbetween my lawn and my side yard where we have quakies to keep the suckers from coming up. What can I use and how deep do I put it into the ground? Also, they are next to my neighbors driveway, how far do the roots travel and should I barrier that side as well?
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- My Black Walnut tree is leaking sap terribly. What's wrong?
- Last summer I made some strawberry jam which I water canned in pint jars according to the directions in the pectin box. It seemed that all the lids sealed (they all popped). Now, though, the jam doesn't look quite right to me--it's a bit brown, especially toward the top of the jars. I'm a little wary of eating or even trying it. What could have caused this? Should I throw it out?