Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
Rate This FAQ
I'll refer you to an article on USU Extension News which includes overseeding http://extension.usu.edu/htm/news/articleID=2116 . Best time is fall, however you can also prep and seed in spring. Read over article about preparing before reseeding. As for covering, once seeds germinate, they'll need sun, so too much cover will not allow sunlight in. Best to keep moisture adequate so seeds can germinate. Realize that best thing is to stay off that part of the lawn.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 2 red tipped photinas in my front yard against the house (south facing). They were great for the first 3 years, but now, for the last 2 winters the leaves have dried out and dropped in the spring. I thought it was a lack of water over the winter, so I tried to help out, but that didnt help. Should I prune them back in the fall or is there anything I can do to help them so this doesn't happen next winter?
- I have a flame amur maple approx 5 feet high and has been planted since spring of '07. It has turned a very pale yellow color and has several branches where the leaves look like they have been burned. It is getting sufficient water. I've noticed that other flame maples stay green and I have read that it should. I don't know what is wrong with it. Help. It also did this last summer. I have applied some iron and it did green it up a little more but not much.
- I would like to plant some fruit and nut bearing trees to assist us with our food supply. Are there some trees better than others?
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- What night-time temperatures are too cold for "tender plants" such as tomatoes, squashes, annual bedding plants, etc.?
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- I would like to build some grow boxes for vegetables. Do you have any recommendations what type of wood or other material should be used for a grow box?