Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?
Rate This FAQ
Allowing chickens to range around the garden plot is a good idea for the following reasons: 1) they will scratch and loosen the top layer of leaves and debris that has accumulated over the winter and eat larvae and insects they find, and 2) their manure will add nutrients to the soil.
Chickens on the lawn won’t hurt the lawn, but will be of minimal help in weed control. Most weeds that cause trouble in lawns are deep-rooted and perennial. In most instances, the occasional lopping off the top by chickens won’t really help. If you choose to let chickens roam on the lawn, be sure the grass has not recently had herbicides and/or insecticides applied. These may be harmful to the chickens or deposited in eggs that are laid.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We would like to remove the lawn from a large area around some 40-50 ft pine trees and cover the area with decorative bark. The roots are close enough to the surface in some areas that using a sod cutter would damage the trees. Would it work to just spray the grass with a killer, such as Roundup, and then put the bark directly on the dead grass? Would this affect the trees in the areas of the partially exposed roots? Any other suggestions?
- I planted four Patmore Green Ash trees in my yard and they all have circular hole bite marks on all the leaves. I cannot see any insects on them. Do you have any idea what might be eating the leaves and how I can get rid of them?
- Our lawn is very bumpy and hard to walk on. Are the quaking aspen tree roots doing this? Should we aerate the lawn or does this cause more problems with the roots?
- A landscaping company planted 6 jaquemonti birch in my yard at the end of May. Two of them recently began developing darkish brown leaf spots in the center. They are getting plenty of water. On one of the leaves I found very tiny black insects. I did not find insects on any of the other leaves. What could the problem be and what should I do about it. I picked the infected leaves off that I could reach. I also collected the insects.
- I am trying to find an organic solution to spraying weeds in the vegetable garden, such as morning glory. Would a mix of vinegar and lemon juice spread to the roots of the vegetables also, or could it be used? If so, do you have any information on proportions for the mix?
- How to get rid of Goat Head Thorns?
- I have beautiful hosta and fern plants growing outside. How do I protect them so they will survive the winter? Do I need to dig them up and bring them inside?
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?