Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
Rate This FAQ
The best amendment for our soil is organic matter. Well composted organic matter which you can do-it-yourself or for larger quantities you can go to the landfill who sells compost reasonably is the best overall amendment. There is the Salt Lake Valley landfill (click on http://www.slvlandfill.slco.org/html/compost.html).
What you have listed perlite, vermiculite and utelite are sometimes recommended for container gardening and potting soil but not for any large scale landscapes. The amount required of these mineral components in a landscape would make it too costly for a soil amendment and not perform nearly as well (improved draining) as adding organic matter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Two Questions: 1. When do Gooseberries flower? 2. When is the best time to plant tulips?
- I am trying to identify a tree that grows all over St. George area. It has a beautiful pink bloom, elongated oval leaf, small- med. height tree. It's been identified to me as a chitolpe tree? It's not an avacado tree.
- We have 2 honeylocust trees in our yard. I would guess "Imperial honeylocust". They seem to be about 15 years old or so. They are spaced about 20 feet apart. This spring one has leafed out and the other is still not budding or leafing out. Over the winter, the one that is not budding turned bright red on the trunk, which we have never seen before. The tree is getting a very few buds and leaves on some main branches (like suckers) but no buds or leaves on the outer limbs. Is there anything we can do to save this tree?
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- I have small white worms in my turnips and radishes. How do I deal with this problem?
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- I am preparing to sod my front yard in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a grass that is hardy, drought and weed resistant. I also have a dog that can be somewhat hard on grass. I looked into Zoysia grass, but determined it wasn't a really great grass for this climate. What would you suggest, and where might I find it in Northern Utah?