Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
Rate This FAQ
The best amendment for our soil is organic matter. Well composted organic matter which you can do-it-yourself or for larger quantities you can go to the landfill who sells compost reasonably is the best overall amendment. There is the Salt Lake Valley landfill (click on http://www.slvlandfill.slco.org/html/compost.html).
What you have listed perlite, vermiculite and utelite are sometimes recommended for container gardening and potting soil but not for any large scale landscapes. The amount required of these mineral components in a landscape would make it too costly for a soil amendment and not perform nearly as well (improved draining) as adding organic matter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently purchased a home in Sandy and there are chinese elms everywhere. Some of them are growing around gas and water lines. How do I get rid of them? Can I cut them down and poisen the root system? I also have a backyard that is completely overgrown with what I think is an annual bluegrass. I just want to rip all that out and plant seed in the fall. What is the best way to get rid of the annual bluegrass so it dosen't grow back next year? Can I just till it or do I need to do more than that?
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- I am about to remove a hedge of box leaf euonymous because they were affected by scale that I was not able to control. Is it possible to plant the same species in this spot again?
- We have a space along the north side of our house that is shady most of the day. We are wondering what we can plant there. It is right beside the house and we would like to put something that is edible in that space? We wanted to put in strawberries but decided it was probably too shady for them.
- I have a large weeping willow tree in my backyard that has started dripping sap as well as loosing leaves. It appears that some of the larger branches are dying as well. Is there anything I could do to bring the tree back to life?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- I planted four Patmore Green Ash trees in my yard and they all have circular hole bite marks on all the leaves. I cannot see any insects on them. Do you have any idea what might be eating the leaves and how I can get rid of them?