Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is tomato soup and tomato sauce safe to eat if they squirt out of the can when they are opened?
Rate This FAQ
Usually when a can of tomatoes squirts as it is opened, we are unsure of the safety. It could be due to a dent in the can which compromises the pressure inside the can. It could also be due to a bacteria or mold growth which has caused the contents to expand. When this happens, we typically recommend that you toss it rather than eating it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How many Tablespoons in a cup, quarts in a peck, etc.?
- Are steam canners safe to use?
- Do you have tips on safe food handling techniques?
- What is being done to promote healthy eating in schools?
- I found weevil in my flour, I have fruit flies, or there are other pantry pests in my kitchen, what do I do?
- As I've grown older I've lost my appetite, can I get it back?
- The power went out, is the food in my refrigerator/freezer still o.k. to eat?
- Do you have tips for safe home canning of tomatoes and salsa?