Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A friend has recommended an Epsom salt solution for my garden plants. How are Epsom salts used here? I know they add mag to the soil if it is depleted but I didn't think they were used in alkaline soils... do they have any benefits? Will they help me grow blueberries etc., stuff that needs acidic soil? Research says that Epsom doesn't change the ph much but I know sulfur is good.
Rate This FAQ
I do not recommend Epsom salts - which is basically magnesium sulfate. Magnesium is not at all limited in our Utah Soils and our soils have a tendency for high salinity. Magnesium is the central atom of chlorophyll. (Just as reference the largest industrial magnesium producer is MAGCORP which is located on the western bank of the Great Salt Lake) Epsom salts have been recommended in gardening books based in the northeastern US soils where magnesium is limited. Best amendments to add to your soil is organic matter - or even better is to get a soil test from Utah State University Analytical Labs (www.usual.com) for $14 to know your basic soil profile - pH, texture, salinity, phosphorus and potassium levels.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is a good fertilizer schedule?
- Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
- We have about 6 pine trees (blue spruce) in our yard and we have noticed that this year they are loaded with pine cones. Does this mean anything? We have looked on the farmers almanac thinking that it must mean we are in for a hard winter, or something in that nature, but have been unsuccessful in finding the answer. Do you have any information why the trees are loaded with pine cones?
- My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?
- Do you have any suggestions as to where to buy or how to make a truly sturdy tomato cage? The "standard" metal ones I have bought at garden centers have always tipped over when the plant has gotten big.
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- The leaves on our maple tree get little spikes on the top of it and then dry up and fall off. Can you tell me the problem and how we may solve it?
- I have beautiful hosta and fern plants growing outside. How do I protect them so they will survive the winter? Do I need to dig them up and bring them inside?