Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
Rate This FAQ
I do not recommend at all putting 12 inches of soil around the trees - any change in soil grade will essentially put the tree root collar a foot below soil and the bark will not do well. Many trees which have the soil grade raised around the trees eventually succumb to bark rot or other problems due to burying the tree - also the roots are also covered and water and oxygen is less available.
As for ground cover - it's heavy shade under gambel oaks so realize you need something that can tolerate shade. Generally I don't recommend ground cover close to trees - because of competition for water, nutrients, oxygen between plants and trees. Best management practices for trees is to lay a shallow (2") layer of organic mulch like bark nuggets around the tree out to the dripline/canopy of the trees for the trees to be healthy and happy.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our golden delicious apple tree drops fruit through the entire season. What are we doing wrong? It is located in our garden area and gets plenty of water. Thank you for your help.
- I put in my entire yard in Fruit Heights in late July. I noticed my maple trees are losing leaves, and showing signs of distress. I put sod up to the tree trunks, but I'm wondering if I should cut the sod back, and put mulch in so the tree roots can breath. Good idea? I cut back on the watering as well, which could have been a problem for drainage. Any help?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
- When is the next date for spraying apple trees for codling moth?
- Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
- I have a vine growing on my fence that has sparse dark blue berries and thick red stems. What plant is this? Image showing this plant can be seen at http://themodbod.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/ivy-to-use.jpg