Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
Rate This FAQ
I do not recommend at all putting 12 inches of soil around the trees - any change in soil grade will essentially put the tree root collar a foot below soil and the bark will not do well. Many trees which have the soil grade raised around the trees eventually succumb to bark rot or other problems due to burying the tree - also the roots are also covered and water and oxygen is less available.
As for ground cover - it's heavy shade under gambel oaks so realize you need something that can tolerate shade. Generally I don't recommend ground cover close to trees - because of competition for water, nutrients, oxygen between plants and trees. Best management practices for trees is to lay a shallow (2") layer of organic mulch like bark nuggets around the tree out to the dripline/canopy of the trees for the trees to be healthy and happy.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have some cucumbers I bought from the nursery in a small container about 3 weeks ago. I transplanted them to a larger container. I move them in the garage at night and back out to the driveway during the day. The leaves and stems are turning light green and have dry white places on them. Are they getting sun scalded, am I watering them too much, not enough fertilizer?
- Is it good to cut the lawn shorter right before winter? I normally cut my lawn quite high, but it seems like I heard that it is good to cut it shorter for winter. Thanks.
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?
- I have space for 2 fruit trees in my yard. I would like to plant an apple (red delicious) and a peach (red Haven). Are these the best varieties for my area, and how about cross pollination. My neighbor across the fence has a peach tree and I have a crab apple near by.
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?