Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
Rate This FAQ
I do not recommend at all putting 12 inches of soil around the trees - any change in soil grade will essentially put the tree root collar a foot below soil and the bark will not do well. Many trees which have the soil grade raised around the trees eventually succumb to bark rot or other problems due to burying the tree - also the roots are also covered and water and oxygen is less available.
As for ground cover - it's heavy shade under gambel oaks so realize you need something that can tolerate shade. Generally I don't recommend ground cover close to trees - because of competition for water, nutrients, oxygen between plants and trees. Best management practices for trees is to lay a shallow (2") layer of organic mulch like bark nuggets around the tree out to the dripline/canopy of the trees for the trees to be healthy and happy.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- How many gallons per hour are needed for mature fruit trees? Also how many times a week and how long each time should trees be watered?
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- Is there another alternative to getting rid of ferry ring in a lawn than by removing the soil?
- I have just moved into this new house and I have all these raspberry bushes. They have produced a crop of fruit and I went out and picked lots of berries. The berries themselves look very nice but they are a little small. When I brought them in the house I noticed a couple different kind of pests on them. A black little beetle looking bug and a little tiny bug that resembled the hair on the raspberry. I washed them off, cleaned them and ate them. Now I am all panicked that I will get sick. They tasted good but I have myself all freaked out not knowing if all the bugs got off. Will they hurt me? I want to make raspberry jam with all the berries I have. Is that safe?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.
- I live in salt lake city, and have very hard rocky soil. I would like to plant a few varieties of trees for shade and decor (like to enjoy them in my own lifetime)I realize I'll need to excavate for good soil and root ball. Any suggestions?