Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
Rate This FAQ
Blenheim apricot is popular in California, but it should be cold hardy in Utah, at least along the Wasatch Front. However, it has not been bread to have a delayed bloom. Late frosts are common in Northern Utah, and you may not get much fruit production out of it. I would recomend growing varieties such as Moorpark, Moongold, Sun-Glow, or Chinese (Mormon). Out of these, Moorpark has the best reputation for good flavor, but it is a poor canner. Moongold is good for canning or eating. Chinese is supposed to be the most cold hardy. Its fruit is good but is somewhat smaller than the other two varieties.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Two questions; I have an dwarf Honey Crisp apple tree that is about 5 years old. Last year it had a dozen apples. I didn't disturb the fruit spurs when I picked the fruit. This year there were no blossoms on the tree. I didn't prune it at all. What can I do to help it produce every year? Second question; I have peach borers in the main branches of my nectarine tree. The tree seems healthy other than the borers. What can I do about them at this point? Will it help to dig them out? Will it help to spray? Will they winter over to next year?
- This year a majority of our tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom. Some of them as soon as they are ripe they have mold growing on them. Are these safe to eat an can or what do I need to do. We have about 8 or 9 plants. They are not producing that well. It seems to be on all of are tomatoes except for the grape. What can we do to get this problem taken care of?
- We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- I am looking for a shrub or tree that can line my driveway but, the problem is that it is facing the south and gets little to none water. Can you suggest some drought resistant plants that will work for that particular area?
- Hi, I have a lot of two year hybrid poplars that we've planted for a wind break and the leaves near the trunks are beginning to turn yellow. I've read that this can be because of lack of water or too much water or not enough fertilizer. It's July and we water them every day because of the 90+ temps. Any suggestions?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- Do you have the names of companies or individuals who spray fruit trees in the spring and summer to prevent bugs and disease?