Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
Rate This FAQ
Blenheim apricot is popular in California, but it should be cold hardy in Utah, at least along the Wasatch Front. However, it has not been bread to have a delayed bloom. Late frosts are common in Northern Utah, and you may not get much fruit production out of it. I would recomend growing varieties such as Moorpark, Moongold, Sun-Glow, or Chinese (Mormon). Out of these, Moorpark has the best reputation for good flavor, but it is a poor canner. Moongold is good for canning or eating. Chinese is supposed to be the most cold hardy. Its fruit is good but is somewhat smaller than the other two varieties.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the best time to spray a cherry tree for worms?
- I planted some fruit trees fall 2009 and am noticing tons of fruit on them already in this first year. I've heard I should pick them all and wait until the second year to let them mature. Is this right?
- I have a mature elm in my backyard that was probably planted when the house was built in the 70's. We bought it 3 years ago and I have noticed that something is eating away at the bark. There is a reddish-brown streak (almost like what you would see in a human that has blood poisoning) that runs up the bark. I cut off one of the lower limbs that the problem had progressed to. The bark is very "mushy" and looks decayed. Chunks of bark fall off at the affected areas. I cannot see any bugs that may be causing this but I suspect that is the cause. This tree has 2 main branches that extend from the bottom and this is where the main damage seems to be. I am concerned that the tree could "split" at this point if it becomes weakened. I need to know the cause and treatment.
- What materials should I use to raise depressions in my lawn around retaining walls and sidewalks?
- I have built a terrace at the back of my garden and would like to start a grape arbor as a natural fence between my yard and my neighbor. What grapes would do well and how do I go about starting an arbor? What kind of fencing would I need?
- Last fall I bought a daffodil mixture. They bloomed great this spring, but in October they have all started to come up. What's going on?
- This year we planted our first home garden. It was a lot of fun, but we need to know what to do to make it better next year. Specifically: our plants grew VERY large, but did not yield much fruit. What fruit we did get was typically small and misshapen. We did not fertilize, except some nitrogen along with dead lawn clippings last fall. What should we do this fall to get the soils ready for more fruit and less leaves next year?
- We have Ray wood ash trees around our home and last year they were topped by hormworms. What do you suggest?