Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
Rate This FAQ
Weeds are never eradicated but managed. One treatment will knock down quite a few but there are weed seeds that can stay in the soil and germinate up to 50 years (field bindweed). There are different types of weeds and have different growth patterns, some are annuals while some are perennials. Probably the least toxic and effective is using a glyphosate based weed killer ( like Roundup). The plants have to be actively growing for glyphosate to work, the plants take up the glyphosate and if they are not growing it does not get into plant tissue - so read instructions thoroughly to ensure best results. Be careful with any chemical herbicide because more is not better, proper application at the correct time is cost and time-effective.
As for putting in a lawn, here is an excerpt on site preparation to establish a good lawn.
Site Preparation Steps
Clear the site of all building materials (wood, cement, bricks, etc.), as well as any buried stumps, rocks , stones or other debris that is larger than 4-5 cm (2-3 inches) in diameter.
Rough grade the entire area to eliminate any drainage problems on the property. This would include sloping the grade away from building foundations, eliminating or reducing severe slopes and filling low-lying areas. A tractor-mounted blade and/or box are most often used for rough grading, but if the area is smaller, it can be done with hand tools. The rough grading will probably uncover more debris that should be removed and not buried.
Initial tilling, to a depth of at least 5 cm (2 inches), should be completed prior to adding any topsoil or soil amendments. This will control most annual weeds, alleviate subsoil compaction and permit a bonding of the topsoil to the subsoil and improve root penetration and water movement.
Add organic matter (compost) to achieve a total depth of 10-15 cm (4-6 inches), after firming. To the extent possible, practical, affordable and available, incorporate humus (fully decomposed organic matter) into the topsoil.
Apply "starter fertilizer"
Finish grade the entire site, maintaining the rough grading contours and slopes, with a tractor-mounted box blade on large areas or heavy-duty rake on smaller sites.
Roll the area with a lawn roller one third full of water to firm and settle the surface and reveal any low spots that should be filled to match the surrounding grade surface. If time permits, allow the area to settle further with rainfall or by applying irrigation water.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run