Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have raspberry plants that have grown to where they will be bearing this summer. And wouldn't you know it, we are moving. I want to dig them up just before we move, say in middle to late February. Can I put them in the same type of packaging they came in when purchased and then plant them in the spring when the ground thaws. Will they still bear fruit this year?
Rate This FAQ
It depends. You did not mention what variety of raspberries you have. Some raspberries are June bearing, which means the canes that produce raspberries overwinter. Everbearing produce two crops in one year and so they canes are pruned differently. So whether or not they will bear fruit depends on what variety you have. Also after transplanting, it may be too much shock, and plant energy will be directed to reestablishing roots and growing new canes. Fruit depends on the plant getting enough energy through photosynthesis through the leaves, so fruit will not produce unless the plant is also healthy. I'm sending you two USU references that may help you.
Pruning Raspberries http://extension.usu.edu/htm/faq/faq_q=284
Red Raspberry Production http://extension.usu.edu/htm/faq/faq_q=284
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have information on soil testing?
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?