Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have raspberry plants that have grown to where they will be bearing this summer. And wouldn't you know it, we are moving. I want to dig them up just before we move, say in middle to late February. Can I put them in the same type of packaging they came in when purchased and then plant them in the spring when the ground thaws. Will they still bear fruit this year?
Rate This FAQ
It depends. You did not mention what variety of raspberries you have. Some raspberries are June bearing, which means the canes that produce raspberries overwinter. Everbearing produce two crops in one year and so they canes are pruned differently. So whether or not they will bear fruit depends on what variety you have. Also after transplanting, it may be too much shock, and plant energy will be directed to reestablishing roots and growing new canes. Fruit depends on the plant getting enough energy through photosynthesis through the leaves, so fruit will not produce unless the plant is also healthy. I'm sending you two USU references that may help you.
Pruning Raspberries http://extension.usu.edu/htm/faq/faq_q=284
Red Raspberry Production http://extension.usu.edu/htm/faq/faq_q=284
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
- I live on 25 acres on the border of Summit and Wasatch Counties at an elevation of 7,000 ft. I need to add some trees to the landscape both evergreen and shade? What are good choices for my high and cold location?
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- I have many large 20-25 feet scrub oak trees on my property. I would like to thin and prune them from the tops in order for them to look like the lower scrub oak I have seen in the area, about 10-15 feet. How low can I cut them from their tops without injuring them and what is the best time of year to do so?
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?