Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
Rate This FAQ
You've asked a very general question, so difficult to give a specific answer. You may try and call our Master Gardener phone help line at (801) 468-3178 and perhaps he can help you after getting more information. Perennials, annuals, vegetables all have different light, water, temperature requirements for optimal growth. My first feeling since you mentioned that trees are growing well is that perhaps the main issue is the trees are shading the rest of your garden, and those plants are not getting enough light. Regular application of commercial fertilizer may actually create a buildup of nutrients or salinity not needed by the plants, and interfering with growth. A good idea may be to sample your soil and get a basic $14 soil test to see what your pH, soil texture, salinity, levels of potassium and phosphorus are.
For Soil Test information go to this link http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a scarlett red maple. It's about 8 years old and last year the leaves didn't get very big. This year, it hasn't even began to bloom yet although, It has tiny buds. I noticed that the bark in some places peels off very easily. Under the bark, it looks like there may be some black flecks (maybe bug feces). I only noticed one little red colored bug under where I peeled the bark. I don't see any other bugs anywhere, even at the base. Do you think it could have a disease or bugs? I am going to put some fertilizer steaks around it and pour some Bayer Advanced tree and shrub insect control around the base of the tree. Is it too late to spary it?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- Spotted spurge is taking over my lawn. What can I do now, in these hot August temperatures, to knock back this weed problem?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?