Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
Rate This FAQ
You've asked a very general question, so difficult to give a specific answer. You may try and call our Master Gardener phone help line at (801) 468-3178 and perhaps he can help you after getting more information. Perennials, annuals, vegetables all have different light, water, temperature requirements for optimal growth. My first feeling since you mentioned that trees are growing well is that perhaps the main issue is the trees are shading the rest of your garden, and those plants are not getting enough light. Regular application of commercial fertilizer may actually create a buildup of nutrients or salinity not needed by the plants, and interfering with growth. A good idea may be to sample your soil and get a basic $14 soil test to see what your pH, soil texture, salinity, levels of potassium and phosphorus are.
For Soil Test information go to this link http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- I want to replace a sickly globe willow tree in my front, south-facing, sloping lawn. There are underground utility (water, gas, sewer) and irrigation lines running through the area. What trees would work best in this area?
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- My front yard has large patches of dead grass. Originally I thought it might be a result of grubs, but dug down and didn't see any larvae or grub worms. The condition is worsening and now I've noticed pencil-eraser size holes throughout the dry areas. Do you know what this is and how to prevent or stop it?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
- I have raspberry plants that have grown to where they will be bearing this summer. And wouldn't you know it, we are moving. I want to dig them up just before we move, say in middle to late February. Can I put them in the same type of packaging they came in when purchased and then plant them in the spring when the ground thaws. Will they still bear fruit this year?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?