Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
Rate This FAQ
You've asked a very general question, so difficult to give a specific answer. You may try and call our Master Gardener phone help line at (801) 468-3178 and perhaps he can help you after getting more information. Perennials, annuals, vegetables all have different light, water, temperature requirements for optimal growth. My first feeling since you mentioned that trees are growing well is that perhaps the main issue is the trees are shading the rest of your garden, and those plants are not getting enough light. Regular application of commercial fertilizer may actually create a buildup of nutrients or salinity not needed by the plants, and interfering with growth. A good idea may be to sample your soil and get a basic $14 soil test to see what your pH, soil texture, salinity, levels of potassium and phosphorus are.
For Soil Test information go to this link http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- How do I prune my roses?
- What is a pre-emergent and a post-emergent?
- Yesterday I applied "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control" to my lawn. Unfortunately, I had the drop spreader set incorrectly. As a result I later discovered that I had accidently applied 4-5 times as much fertizer as specified on the bag. Will this damage the lawn? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage?
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?