Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
Rate This FAQ
You've asked a very general question, so difficult to give a specific answer. You may try and call our Master Gardener phone help line at (801) 468-3178 and perhaps he can help you after getting more information. Perennials, annuals, vegetables all have different light, water, temperature requirements for optimal growth. My first feeling since you mentioned that trees are growing well is that perhaps the main issue is the trees are shading the rest of your garden, and those plants are not getting enough light. Regular application of commercial fertilizer may actually create a buildup of nutrients or salinity not needed by the plants, and interfering with growth. A good idea may be to sample your soil and get a basic $14 soil test to see what your pH, soil texture, salinity, levels of potassium and phosphorus are.
For Soil Test information go to this link http://www.usual.usu.edu/forms/soilform.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?
- We have a lot of scrub oak around our home. In some spots we have some ground cover and other area are bare. We would like to add a nice ground cover to mix in with the oak in these bare areas. Do you have suggestions for ground cover? Also, in one particular area, we have a large amount of grass growing in the ground cover surrounding the scrub oak. What is the best way to get rid of this grass? Is there a ground cover that can overtake the grass?
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- We live in West Jordan in an area with very clay soil. We would like to plant some low-lying evergreen shrubs in a narrow strip between our RV pad and a short vinyl fence. Do you have any plant recommendations that will work in our soil and don't require a lot of maintenence?
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.