Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
Rate This FAQ
For successful transplanting, an adequate size rootball with enough roots to survive the shock of transplantation is require. Also timing of transplanting is important to minimize shock. Transplanting such large trees is not easy. The rootball would need to be very large, at least 4 to 5 feet in diameter and very heavy (we are talking needing a bobcat or other heavy equipment to lift rootball. The cost would either be in labor to dig the rootball or finding a company that has a large enough tree spade that would be able to dig them up which is also costly (don't know exactly but at for all three trees, several hundred dollars) As for anyone wanting these trees, blue spruce are not high value trees at 15 feet tall, not likely.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- I was surprised when I recently spotted a snake in my yard. Aren't they most active in the fall?
- I am in West Valley city, and for the past 3 years my grass has looked really good, and last year, the entire front park lane died, and I now have large areas in the front yard that are dead as well. I have heard of grubs, however I have no idea how to identify what is going on with the grass or how to treat it. You can pull up larges patches of grass easily, there don't appear to be any roots in some areas and I would like my grass to be pretty again. What can you recommend?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- I have a son that lives in west Eagle Mt. We Put in sod for a lawn about two years ago and for two seasons it did great. Half of it is now dead and the other half is struggling. Prior to putting down sod, the ground was thoroughly tilled and lots of compost material was added (the kind that is made available in some green recycling yards and mixed with treated effluent from the sewage treatment plant.) Nitrogen was also added to the soil and the lawn was watered regularly. What has happened and what can I do to get a good lawn here?
- Do you have tips for success with African violets?
- I saw a small, dark green, spruce tree planted next to the corner of a home in a nearby neighborhood. Are their dwarf varieties of this tree? It is not an dwarf Alberta Spuce- I have already verified this. If so, what are they called. I would like to find one for my yard.