Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
Rate This FAQ
Vegetables such as tomatoes will benefit from some shade during the hot part of the summer in a desert climate. Indirect sunlight or filtered works fine. Keep in mind that in order for tomatoes to set fruit you will need to lower the temperature around the plants. Shade will help with this. Also, you may consider using some mister nozzles over the plants and run them at brief intervals in late afternoon.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am a landscape designer and have a client in Hyrum with an orchard of about 25 misc. fruit trees. Of course the clients want low maintenance. What is a good way to control weeds in the orchard? Turf? Bare soil and cultivation? Bark mulch? If turf is a good option, what variety? Thanks.
- I have a mature elm in my backyard that was probably planted when the house was built in the 70's. We bought it 3 years ago and I have noticed that something is eating away at the bark. There is a reddish-brown streak (almost like what you would see in a human that has blood poisoning) that runs up the bark. I cut off one of the lower limbs that the problem had progressed to. The bark is very "mushy" and looks decayed. Chunks of bark fall off at the affected areas. I cannot see any bugs that may be causing this but I suspect that is the cause. This tree has 2 main branches that extend from the bottom and this is where the main damage seems to be. I am concerned that the tree could "split" at this point if it becomes weakened. I need to know the cause and treatment.
- We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?