Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
Rate This FAQ
Vegetables such as tomatoes will benefit from some shade during the hot part of the summer in a desert climate. Indirect sunlight or filtered works fine. Keep in mind that in order for tomatoes to set fruit you will need to lower the temperature around the plants. Shade will help with this. Also, you may consider using some mister nozzles over the plants and run them at brief intervals in late afternoon.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
- Do cottenless Cottonwood shed cotton after 7 to 10 years or are they always cottonless?
- The leaves on my strawberry plants have turned a very pale green or yellow with some brown on the edges what do they need?
- Two years ago I moved into a house that has a large apricot tree in the backyard. Last year was our first apricot harvest. The apricots got large a ripe, and looked great. But when I picked one and tasted it, is was VERY mushy and bland. Upon further investigation, all the fruit was this way. Does this mean that the tree is too old or maybe just a bad tree? I don't want to deal with the hassle of a fruit tree if I can't use the fruit.
- What trees, perrenials, shrubs etc... grow best in Utah (landscaping yard)?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?