Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
Rate This FAQ
Vegetables such as tomatoes will benefit from some shade during the hot part of the summer in a desert climate. Indirect sunlight or filtered works fine. Keep in mind that in order for tomatoes to set fruit you will need to lower the temperature around the plants. Shade will help with this. Also, you may consider using some mister nozzles over the plants and run them at brief intervals in late afternoon.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- I live in salt lake city, and have very hard rocky soil. I would like to plant a few varieties of trees for shade and decor (like to enjoy them in my own lifetime)I realize I'll need to excavate for good soil and root ball. Any suggestions?
- I have old cottonwoods in my yard. Vines are growing up about 5-6 feet on them (honeysuckle, ivy or virginia creeper) They are dying about on a year for the past 4 years and I lost another one this summer. Are the vines killing them or could it be the age of the trees?
- I have a young (~3 year old) brown turkey fig. I planted it last fall and it survived! the winter. It is producing small figs now but the leaves have a brownish gray powdery looking substance on them. It doesn't rub off but looks like powdery spots. Any clue what it might be or what I should do? The leaves remain green and look healthy. This appeared after the recent heavy rains.
- I have an apricot tree in my backyard that is loaded with apricots. We have not sprayed the tree with anything, but I would like to use what I can of the fruit that is not 'buggy'. The apricots have red/brown spots on the skin, my research tells me it might be a fungus. Would the fruit be safe to eat if it was cooked and then canned? Also, I would like to transplant some of my fathers raspberry bushes, when is the best time to do that?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- Can we use rabbit droppings in our vegetable & flower gardens or is the acidity too high? How does it compare to manure?
- I have small white worms in my turnips and radishes. How do I deal with this problem?