Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
Rate This FAQ
These type of aphids often appear in large numbers on twigs, branches, and trunks of willows. They can deform leaves and make a mess with sticky honeydew. They can also be a nuisance around homes by collecting on the sides of the house. One option is a strong spray of water to wash them off. Insecticidal soap products can sprayed on the aphids but avoid applying this product to windows. The plant can also be sprayed with horticultural oil. Another option is to treat the base of the willow or other ornamental plant with imidacloprid insecticide. This product moves through the plant and kills most plant feeding insects for up to a year. Do not use this product on edible plants.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- I was camping in Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend. Sunday Morning a large beetle landed on my leg. I flicked it off. As we were taking down camp more of this same beetle kept landing on me. It had about and inch long body and almost double that with the antenna. I was hoping you could help me identify it and tips that may be useful for preventing them from pursuing me in the future.
- When do spray for the cotteling moths, Apple worms?
- We planted linden trees this year and wrapped the trunks with white corrugated tubing to prevent sun scald in the winter. In looking at leaf damage on the outside border of the leaves, I noted that there were literally hundreds of small gray/black flying insects clustered under the tree wrap. What might they be and are they responsible for the chewed leaves? What treatment is needed?
- I had some trouble with Squash Bugs attacking my Spagetti Squash. Now my plants looks as if it may have Cucurbit Yellow Vine Disease (CYVD). Should I try to deteremine if its really CYVD and if it is, what do I need to do?
- How do I get rid of nightcrawlers? My lawn is getting real lumpy.
- I came up the stairs this morning, thinking there was a wad of cat hair...Ohhh was I wrong! It was a beetle almost 3" long! HUGE! Scared me to death! WHAT is it??? I have pictures of it along side a ruler. Brownish...legs were quite 'barbed'. Big antenae. Ewww.
- I have been fighting a battle with snails and slugs for the past 10 years. I can't find diatomaceous earth that is free of serious pesticides and I can use around my vegetables. (It seems to be more like typical non-garden pesticide in the form I find it.) I also wonder about copper barriers and what sort of copper I could use for that.