Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
Rate This FAQ
These type of aphids often appear in large numbers on twigs, branches, and trunks of willows. They can deform leaves and make a mess with sticky honeydew. They can also be a nuisance around homes by collecting on the sides of the house. One option is a strong spray of water to wash them off. Insecticidal soap products can sprayed on the aphids but avoid applying this product to windows. The plant can also be sprayed with horticultural oil. Another option is to treat the base of the willow or other ornamental plant with imidacloprid insecticide. This product moves through the plant and kills most plant feeding insects for up to a year. Do not use this product on edible plants.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently moved into a house. I noticed what I thought were little black ants didn't bother me I've delt with little black ants before. then I noticed that these little ants didn't have legs that stick out. then I noticed that they weren't ants. once in awhile I would see them when I swept the floor and occationaly I would see one or a few climbing up my wall. but now the really sad thing is they are all over in my Flour, My bags of rice and now i will have to throw it all out. What kind of a bug is it? it is about 1/4 inch long, very thin, and very black. Help me. And what do I need to do to get rid of it?
- My raspberries and red and very sweet and now I have found thread-like worms on the fruit (about 2-4 in a bowl) when washing. What are they and how do I treat the fruits? They are black or grayish and threadlike and about 1/ to 2/3 of an inch long.
- I have a house in Kanab with a lot of Desert Poppies and Blue Flax Grass that is pretty tall surrounded by Junipers in the front yard. I think I may have Noseeums. If so how do I get rid of them? I got bit up pretty bad last weekend working in the yard.
- We have a concord grape vine on our fense and our neighbor has a large woodpile near it. The wood pile is a home for hornets which eat our grapes before they are ready to pick. What is a safe way to get rid of the hornets in the wood pile?
- I came up the stairs this morning, thinking there was a wad of cat hair...Ohhh was I wrong! It was a beetle almost 3" long! HUGE! Scared me to death! WHAT is it??? I have pictures of it along side a ruler. Brownish...legs were quite 'barbed'. Big antenae. Ewww.
- Do you know of any pest control companies that have an effective treatment for controlling box elder bugs in the fall before they get in the house?
- Sandy, Utah area (foothill benches. I am seeing sparse (not dense threads or tent-like)spider webs spanning approx 1-2 inches in the crotches of various limbs on scrub oak (no bugs or spiders are visible, however, did recently see only one yellowish/brown spindly pointed legs/body spider on limb which was about 1/2 - 3/4 inch if legs were spread from end to end). I've never seen spider like it before and can't identify on internet or books. Any thoughts, advice, or place to reference on what and how to treat? Scrub overhangs patio and everyone is paranoid to sit under trees. This is only affecting a few trees near pation, not seen on all scrub oak on property.
- I have little black beetles in my home do you know what they are and how to get rid of them?