Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
Rate This FAQ
These type of aphids often appear in large numbers on twigs, branches, and trunks of willows. They can deform leaves and make a mess with sticky honeydew. They can also be a nuisance around homes by collecting on the sides of the house. One option is a strong spray of water to wash them off. Insecticidal soap products can sprayed on the aphids but avoid applying this product to windows. The plant can also be sprayed with horticultural oil. Another option is to treat the base of the willow or other ornamental plant with imidacloprid insecticide. This product moves through the plant and kills most plant feeding insects for up to a year. Do not use this product on edible plants.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have flying insects black and red. long tail laying eggs in juniper trees. What are they?
- I have been fighting a battle with snails and slugs for the past 10 years. I can't find diatomaceous earth that is free of serious pesticides and I can use around my vegetables. (It seems to be more like typical non-garden pesticide in the form I find it.) I also wonder about copper barriers and what sort of copper I could use for that.
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
- I have little black beetles in my home do you know what they are and how to get rid of them?
- Help! I have a gigantic ant problem (millions of small black ants) in my garden. They are everywhere: in the flower beds, the veggie garden, the lawn, under the sidewalks and driveway. I have tried the sprays and spreadable pesticide from Lowe's, but nothing seems to work. They seem to multiply by the day, and are making work in the garden creepy and painful (they bite too). What can I do? There is no obvious food source around; except they seem to be eating the iris' roots. I live just above Orchard Drive and Bountiful High School. What can I do?
- How do I get rid of nightcrawlers? My lawn is getting real lumpy.
- I was camping in Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend. Sunday Morning a large beetle landed on my leg. I flicked it off. As we were taking down camp more of this same beetle kept landing on me. It had about and inch long body and almost double that with the antenna. I was hoping you could help me identify it and tips that may be useful for preventing them from pursuing me in the future.
- I have a house in Kanab with a lot of Desert Poppies and Blue Flax Grass that is pretty tall surrounded by Junipers in the front yard. I think I may have Noseeums. If so how do I get rid of them? I got bit up pretty bad last weekend working in the yard.