Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have an infestation of giant willow aphids. How do I get rid of them? What damage will they do?
Rate This FAQ
These type of aphids often appear in large numbers on twigs, branches, and trunks of willows. They can deform leaves and make a mess with sticky honeydew. They can also be a nuisance around homes by collecting on the sides of the house. One option is a strong spray of water to wash them off. Insecticidal soap products can sprayed on the aphids but avoid applying this product to windows. The plant can also be sprayed with horticultural oil. Another option is to treat the base of the willow or other ornamental plant with imidacloprid insecticide. This product moves through the plant and kills most plant feeding insects for up to a year. Do not use this product on edible plants.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have large burrowing bees or wasps that live in my sandbox. They do not sting but are very annoying. What is the best way to get rid of them?
- Is there any evidence of free run chickens significantly controlling flies from horse manure? I have neighbors who rely solely on a single hen and rooster to control flies for their two horses in a paddock, not a pasture. No other form of control is used. While chickens may, in fact control insects, I suspect the only real way to control insects (particularly flies) is to routinely (daily or weekly) police the manure and dispose of it. Is there any literature on the subject?
- We have lots of large, brown, fat beetles around our house this year. Any idea what they are, and if they are a problem for our plants and flowers?
- We have a concord grape vine on our fense and our neighbor has a large woodpile near it. The wood pile is a home for hornets which eat our grapes before they are ready to pick. What is a safe way to get rid of the hornets in the wood pile?
- I had some trouble with Squash Bugs attacking my Spagetti Squash. Now my plants looks as if it may have Cucurbit Yellow Vine Disease (CYVD). Should I try to deteremine if its really CYVD and if it is, what do I need to do?
- My daughter found a strange insect outside today. It 1 1/2 inches long and has the coloring of a wasp. The back part of the body looks like a very large wasp, but the front part and front legs look more like a praying mantis. Just wondering if you could tell us what kind of insect this could be. It was definitely interesting looking!
- What insects attack strawberries and what is the recommended control?
- We have a lot of pill bugs in our vegetable garden and strawberries. How can we get rid of them?