Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I would like to plant some fruit and nut bearing trees to assist us with our food supply. Are there some trees better than others?
Rate This FAQ
Below I have included a list of some of the fruit and nut tree varieties that do well in our area.
Apples: (requires cross-pollination)
· Royal Gala
· Red Delicious
· Golden Delicious
· Red Gold
· Stark Delicious
· Red Haven
· Gleason Elberta
Pears (requires cross-pollination)
· Utah Giant
Filberts(Hazelnuts) Need 2 varieties for good pollination
Carpatian English type Walnuts:
I have also included the link to our website where you can find more information on growing and caring for fruit and nut trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- We have Ray wood ash trees around our home and last year they were topped by hormworms. What do you suggest?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- Are there master gardeners in the Millcreek Township area?
- I just bought a house and the yard is a mess. We have multiple varieties of grasses and weeds, dry spots, dead spots and rodent damage. I am a staunch do-it-yourselfer but the number of different problems to attack is overwhelming. Where is the best place to get educated or to get started? If I take a bunch of digital pictures of the various problems and plant types is there someplace I can take them to get good advice? Tru Green also came by and said we have grubs, but all they did was LOOK at the grass. I can pull up the dirt myself, but I don't know what to look for.
- We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?
- How can I control earwigs in my home and garden?
- I have a Saucer Magnolia Tree. I purchased it about 4 years ago, every year I see no growth. It has bloomed every year. But it just seems like I would see some growth? This year the leaves are yellow. I have a picture. Am I missing something? What can I do?