Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do we rake leaves? What would happen to my lawn and flower garden if I just left them on the ground and let the grass and perennials grow up through them? We currently mulch them with a mower and let most of them stay. Are we raising the elevation of our lawn? Are we doing good or bad to it?
Rate This FAQ
Raking leaves is generally a good practice of sanitation, that is cleaning up possibly diseased leaves or preventing a dark, warm environment for diseases and pests to develop and create problems in the spring for new tender growth. As for mulching the leaves and leaving them on the grass, it should be okay if the depth of the mulched leaves is not so deep to create a warm dark environment for undesirable pathogens (bacteria & fungi) to multiply. There are desirable bacteria and fungi which help decompose leaves into organic matter that can be done during the winter.
As for raising elevation - no.
Generally, I would recommend raking, and composting the leaves in a managed way, to prevent possible diseases and pests developing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- When do you advise setting the sprinklers to run? Is early morning the best time for both lawn and (drip) garden?
- I have a small strip (about 1-1 1/2 feet) in front of my brick house that needs to be separated from my front lawn. I would like to put bricks or something to keep the grass from coming through. What would you suggest to use to separate the two areas? What would you suggest to plant?
- I am buying a home, and have no idea how to take card of a yard and plant a garden/flowers. Do you have or know of any classes to teach these things?
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- Last May, I planted my living Christmas tree (5 foot Black Hills Spruce) after wintering it in a sheltered area with mulch. It was inside for only 3 days. It grew well all summer with little green buds until the first hard frost and then it died all at once. What happened? Was it the tree or the location? I live at 7,000 ft; the planting location is a little bit rocky and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!!!
- My mugo pine is turning an orange color and the needles are dropping. What caused this and can it be saved?