Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do we rake leaves? What would happen to my lawn and flower garden if I just left them on the ground and let the grass and perennials grow up through them? We currently mulch them with a mower and let most of them stay. Are we raising the elevation of our lawn? Are we doing good or bad to it?
Rate This FAQ
Raking leaves is generally a good practice of sanitation, that is cleaning up possibly diseased leaves or preventing a dark, warm environment for diseases and pests to develop and create problems in the spring for new tender growth. As for mulching the leaves and leaving them on the grass, it should be okay if the depth of the mulched leaves is not so deep to create a warm dark environment for undesirable pathogens (bacteria & fungi) to multiply. There are desirable bacteria and fungi which help decompose leaves into organic matter that can be done during the winter.
As for raising elevation - no.
Generally, I would recommend raking, and composting the leaves in a managed way, to prevent possible diseases and pests developing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to plant some fruit and nut bearing trees to assist us with our food supply. Are there some trees better than others?
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- Last fall I bought a daffodil mixture. They bloomed great this spring, but in October they have all started to come up. What's going on?
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?