Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why do we rake leaves? What would happen to my lawn and flower garden if I just left them on the ground and let the grass and perennials grow up through them? We currently mulch them with a mower and let most of them stay. Are we raising the elevation of our lawn? Are we doing good or bad to it?
Rate This FAQ
Raking leaves is generally a good practice of sanitation, that is cleaning up possibly diseased leaves or preventing a dark, warm environment for diseases and pests to develop and create problems in the spring for new tender growth. As for mulching the leaves and leaving them on the grass, it should be okay if the depth of the mulched leaves is not so deep to create a warm dark environment for undesirable pathogens (bacteria & fungi) to multiply. There are desirable bacteria and fungi which help decompose leaves into organic matter that can be done during the winter.
As for raising elevation - no.
Generally, I would recommend raking, and composting the leaves in a managed way, to prevent possible diseases and pests developing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?
- Our golden delicious apple tree drops fruit through the entire season. What are we doing wrong? It is located in our garden area and gets plenty of water. Thank you for your help.
- My Black Walnut tree is leaking sap terribly. What's wrong?
- I have a peach tree with lots of little branches that look burnt at the ends. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but the ends of the branches keep turning black and dying.
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- I have a vine growing on my fence that has sparse dark blue berries and thick red stems. What plant is this? Image showing this plant can be seen at http://themodbod.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/ivy-to-use.jpg
- I planted four Patmore Green Ash trees in my yard and they all have circular hole bite marks on all the leaves. I cannot see any insects on them. Do you have any idea what might be eating the leaves and how I can get rid of them?