Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
There is a pecan tree where I work that is dropping leaves like crazy. Can I add the leaves to my vegetable garden and let it compost over the winter? Is there any toxicity in pecan leaves?
Rate This FAQ
“Although pecans are related to black walnut, which secretes a compound that is deadly to tomatoes and some other garden plants, no evidence supports a cause for concern about using composted pecan leaves in the garden. Any toxic substances in pecan leaves or any other kinds of leaves that could injure garden plants are thoroughly leached out or broken down during composting.”
For more on composting see http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0794/
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- Our new home came with some juvenile trees and sapplings planted very closely together in one corner of the yard. Who can identify these trees for us, so we know which ones (if any) to remove/relocate?
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- When moving into our new home I removed two small quaking aspen trees. Even though the main trees are gone there are a good multiple dozen shoots that are coming up all over the lawn. How do I get rid of these for good...hopefully without ripping up my entire yard? Also my neighbors all have these aspen trees and I would like to "treat" the baby shoots coming up on my side of the fence line without damaging their trees. Is that possible?
- Do you have the names of companies or individuals who spray fruit trees in the spring and summer to prevent bugs and disease?
- My husband mistakenly put fertilizer with a broad leaf killer in it on our garden. Is there anything we can do to grow things this year? Everything has died sadly.