Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
Rate This FAQ
Thanks for your great question! If you are canning green beans today and you pressure can them correctly (for Utah County altitude, you need to process them at 13 lbs pressure if using a dial-gauge canner or 15 lbs pressure if using a weighted gauge canner), any microorganisms that may have existed in the jar will have been destroyed by the heat of the processing. With a low-acid product like green-beans, the microorganism we are most concerned with is the C. botulinum spore. If this spore (which is around us, in the air, in the soil, etc.) is placed in a low-acid, moist environment with no oxygen (which is exactly what we do when we can green beans), it can develop a toxin that is deadly. In order to destroy to botulism spore, we need to heat the contents of the jar to an internal temperature of 240 degrees F. The only way to do that is with a Pressure Canner, which uses the pressure to increase temperature beyond boiling point (212 degrees F) of water. As long as the contents of the jar have been processed correctly - at 13lbs or 15lbs pressure for 20 minutes in pints or 25 minutes in quarts, then you should be able to open up that jar of beans and eat them straight out of the jar without any negative effect.
In other words, the contents of the jar do not need to be boiled prior to consuming. If you don't know how long it was processed, or are concerned it might not have been long enough, then you could go ahead and boil the contents (full rolling boil) for about 10-15 minutes prior to consuming. This doesn't help in every situation, but can render the botulism spore inactive for a period of time and help you feel sure that it is safe to eat.
One other motto to consider: When in doubt, throw it out!
Please let me know if you have further questions related to canning or food safety! I'd be happy to answer them for you!
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?