Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
Rate This FAQ
Most of the winter kill that occurs on the south side of houses is due to rapid changes in temperature. Worming in the afternoon and freezing in the evening. The best thing to do with your shrubs and other plants on the south side of the house is to cover them with leaves in the fall. This will act as an insulator to reduce the rapid changes in temperature. Once the really cold temperature are past in the spring you will need to uncover the plants so they do not begin to rot.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have Morning glory though out my established lawn, how can I get rid of it?
- I mowed my lawn today (04/18/08) and noticed some dead "tracks" that I do not remember seeing when I mowed on Saturday (04/14/08). I thought that it might have been something from my lawn mower but it is a brand new Honda that I purchased 1 month ago. I have posted some pictures on my website and can be viewed at supersoygifts.com/grass.htm. Thanks for any info you can provide.
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
- Something is eating my garden. HELP! At first I thought it was snails because there were quite a few holes in the leaves of my beans and squash. Now, there are just skeleton leaves left of half my garden. I have treated for snails with PAX and for other insects with Seven. I have looked for squash bugs but to no avail. I have seen a great many ants and earwigs. Oh, and my tomatoes seem fine. Any tips?
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?
- I am buying a home, and have no idea how to take card of a yard and plant a garden/flowers. Do you have or know of any classes to teach these things?