Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Sanpete county. The winters are very cold and I frequently have winter kill of my roses, and perennials, especially on the South side of the house. Could you give me a basic "Yard & Home Winterization" list of things to do to prevent this and other winter issues?
Rate This FAQ
Most of the winter kill that occurs on the south side of houses is due to rapid changes in temperature. Worming in the afternoon and freezing in the evening. The best thing to do with your shrubs and other plants on the south side of the house is to cover them with leaves in the fall. This will act as an insulator to reduce the rapid changes in temperature. Once the really cold temperature are past in the spring you will need to uncover the plants so they do not begin to rot.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
- I have some problems with native Juniper trees dying(25 ft average height). They start turning yellow (chlorosis has been ruled out) then brown on south side first, then slowly spread to north end of plant. I have cut down one and found no signs of insect damage or disease. Only trees located next to a dirt road(South of trees) are currently affected. They started changing in color last summer. The county does spray for russian thistle on road. Yet no other trees seem to be affected. Can you provide other possible reasons or someone that may be able to come and see them (test them)?
- I have a healthy looking aspen tree whose leaves turn brown and fall off in early September without ever turning colors. I live in Midway and Aspens do well here. Do you know the cause and can it be corrected?
- My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
- What type of grass would hold up to high traffic in a yard facing south (no shade)? We are needing to re-seed or buy sod.
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?