Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have small white worms in my turnips and radishes. How do I deal with this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Root maggots overwinter in soil as larvae. Root maggots are the immature stage, or larvae of small flies that belong to the Insect Order Diptera (Flies) and the family Anthomyiidae. In spring larvae move near the soil surface where they pupate. In late spring adult flies can be observed in mating groups close to borders of fields, telephone poles, or tree trunks. Females deposit eggs in soil crevices near the base of plants. Larvae hatch and feed on roots. A couple of suggestions.
Crop rotation—Plant this year’s root maggot host plants in ground that did not have host plants in the previous year. Crop rotation is often difficult in the home garden but even a modest rotation and separation should be somewhat helpful.
Dust plants with diatomaceous earth. Rove beetles are predaceous on root maggots.
Treat with a registered insecticide.
For radishes: Apply a registered insecticide in seed furrow at planting.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application
- Do you have a list of good varieties of produce producing plants to grow in this area? I am looking to plant fruit trees this fall and start a garden next year.
- I have an apricot tree that is so heavy laden with fruit that it broke a major branch yesterday leaving me with about a half bushel of partially ripened fruit. Can any of it be saved? What should I do?
- I'm planning on using Imidan on my fruit trees. I would like to use a sprayer, but all the application information I've found is in lbs per acre. How much Imidan should I use per gallon.
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?
- I have a stand of Gambel Oaks in my yard, I would like to leave the oaks, but fill in about 12 inches deep to level the area out. Will this damage the oaks? Is there any recommended ground cover to place in the area?
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- Can I use smoke bombs to kill gophers in my yard if I have a garden? Will the chemicals affect the vegetables I plant?