Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have small white worms in my turnips and radishes. How do I deal with this problem?
Rate This FAQ
Root maggots overwinter in soil as larvae. Root maggots are the immature stage, or larvae of small flies that belong to the Insect Order Diptera (Flies) and the family Anthomyiidae. In spring larvae move near the soil surface where they pupate. In late spring adult flies can be observed in mating groups close to borders of fields, telephone poles, or tree trunks. Females deposit eggs in soil crevices near the base of plants. Larvae hatch and feed on roots. A couple of suggestions.
Crop rotation—Plant this year’s root maggot host plants in ground that did not have host plants in the previous year. Crop rotation is often difficult in the home garden but even a modest rotation and separation should be somewhat helpful.
Dust plants with diatomaceous earth. Rove beetles are predaceous on root maggots.
Treat with a registered insecticide.
For radishes: Apply a registered insecticide in seed furrow at planting.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to plant trees in my park strip, but have a gas line running through the middle. If I hand dig, is it ok to plant trees over the top of the line? What is the depth of gas lines?
- JUST SENT A EMAIL, I GUESS I CAN'T ATTACH A PICTURE OF THE TREE I'M AKING ABOUT, HOW CAN I SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF TREES THESE ARE.
- Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
- We planted apple trees last year. When do we spray for cottling moths?
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- I have recently had topsoil brought in to grow a garden and my vegetable plants are wilting as if something in the soil is affecting them how do I get my soil tested to correct this?
- I have mexican fruit flies that lay eggs and hatch larve in my apples and cherries. They are larger than reqular fruit flies and have black and white striped wings. When should I spray? What should I spray with?
- i bought my house in november it had no grass just a huge goat head problem. I have burned, scraped, and sprayed a couple of times. Three weeks ago I planted grass seed, my lawn looks great thick and about 4 inches tall, but now I have goat heads growing all over. Do you think 2-4-D weed killer would work without hurting my lawn or do you have another suggestion?