Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
Rate This FAQ
There really isn't a "Canada Green Grass Seed". It's a mixture of grasses being advertised and sold as having wonderful qualities. Here is an article from Iowa State University Extension on Plant Advertisment: Fact vs Fiction (click on this link http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/3-15-1996/ads.html ) The excerpt about Canada Grass states:
Fact: Canada Green is a poor quality grass seed mix that contains annual rye, Kentucky bluegrass, and red fescue. Annual ryegrass is a quick germinating, cool-season, annual grass. Use of annual ryegrass in seed mixtures is discouraged because its aggressive growth prevents the establishment of the more desirable perennial turfgrasses. Home gardeners can buy good quality turfgrass seed mixes at their local garden center for about half the cost of Canada Green.
If you are looking for turfgrass cultivars, go to our USU Publication Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah by clicking on this link http://extension.usu.edu/htm/publications/file=5892.
This will go into some detail about how much irrigation and fertilization are required to maintain the different types of grasses.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have an braeburn apple tree that we got from a local nursery last fall. the leaves were slightly curled after we planted it and i thought that it was just transplant shock but this spring it has not cleared up. All the leaves are curled up on the edges.
- A PORTION OF MY BACKYARD IS VERY SHADY AND THE GRASS LOOKS SPARSE AND UNHEALTHY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IS LOOK GOOD AND HEALTHY AGAIN?
- My mugo pine is turning an orange color and the needles are dropping. What caused this and can it be saved?
- We moved into our 2-story home in Lehi 1 year ago. The tree out front (which I planned to have my husband cut donw) has doubled in height since then. I don't know what kind of tree it is...medium size, darkish leaves. How do we (and when should we) cut it down to prevent it from sending up suckers?
- I have varmits that are ruining my lawn during the winter (under snow). They make trails and destroy the lawn about 4 inches wide. I can find no holes only the trails and dead grass flipped to the side of the trails. Any ideas? We are going crazy trying to figure this out. We have never had this problem until last year.
- What type of grass would hold up to high traffic in a yard facing south (no shade)? We are needing to re-seed or buy sod.
- I planted four Patmore Green Ash trees in my yard and they all have circular hole bite marks on all the leaves. I cannot see any insects on them. Do you have any idea what might be eating the leaves and how I can get rid of them?
- Chickens in garden before planting? Good idea? And get them on the lawn to eat any weeds?