Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
Rate This FAQ
There really isn't a "Canada Green Grass Seed". It's a mixture of grasses being advertised and sold as having wonderful qualities. Here is an article from Iowa State University Extension on Plant Advertisment: Fact vs Fiction (click on this link http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/3-15-1996/ads.html ) The excerpt about Canada Grass states:
Fact: Canada Green is a poor quality grass seed mix that contains annual rye, Kentucky bluegrass, and red fescue. Annual ryegrass is a quick germinating, cool-season, annual grass. Use of annual ryegrass in seed mixtures is discouraged because its aggressive growth prevents the establishment of the more desirable perennial turfgrasses. Home gardeners can buy good quality turfgrass seed mixes at their local garden center for about half the cost of Canada Green.
If you are looking for turfgrass cultivars, go to our USU Publication Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah by clicking on this link http://extension.usu.edu/htm/publications/file=5892.
This will go into some detail about how much irrigation and fertilization are required to maintain the different types of grasses.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Whenever I go into the supermarket in the summer time I see people picking out watermelons and talking about bee stings as indicators of a good melon, but I thought bees only sting when threatened and that the sting contains a venom. Is there any correlation between the marks on watermelon and bees? Adam
- We are putting in sod in our front yard - not a lot of traffic. Would like you opinion on if we should put in Kentucky Blue Grass or a biograss?
- I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
- The grass under my english walnut tree is not doing well. What can i do to help the grass grow?
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- I have two questions, can I use weed killer around pine trees with out harming them? What is an effective way to keep cats from using the lawn and the flower beds as a litter box?
- We bought a house with horrible "goat head thorn" problem, all summer we have been pulling them out and collecting the thorny seeds as much as we can. We are now looking to plant grass seed. And are wondering what seed with grow faster than the goat heads, do well with high traffic (2 dogs) and in a semi shady area?
- I have old cottonwoods in my yard. Vines are growing up about 5-6 feet on them (honeysuckle, ivy or virginia creeper) They are dying about on a year for the past 4 years and I lost another one this summer. Are the vines killing them or could it be the age of the trees?