Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
Rate This FAQ
There really isn't a "Canada Green Grass Seed". It's a mixture of grasses being advertised and sold as having wonderful qualities. Here is an article from Iowa State University Extension on Plant Advertisment: Fact vs Fiction (click on this link http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/3-15-1996/ads.html ) The excerpt about Canada Grass states:
Fact: Canada Green is a poor quality grass seed mix that contains annual rye, Kentucky bluegrass, and red fescue. Annual ryegrass is a quick germinating, cool-season, annual grass. Use of annual ryegrass in seed mixtures is discouraged because its aggressive growth prevents the establishment of the more desirable perennial turfgrasses. Home gardeners can buy good quality turfgrass seed mixes at their local garden center for about half the cost of Canada Green.
If you are looking for turfgrass cultivars, go to our USU Publication Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah by clicking on this link http://extension.usu.edu/htm/publications/file=5892.
This will go into some detail about how much irrigation and fertilization are required to maintain the different types of grasses.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
- I have several burning bushes and every year they start out great in the spring but later spring the leaves turn yellow, I have been adding iron to the soil around them and it seems to help a bit but it still happens every year. Could it be something else?
- Where can I get a chart that tells me when to plant vegetable or plants and also can you tell me how to plant blackberry and raspberry plants?
- I have an 8 year old Norway Spruce. It has a section at the base where the needle grow is restricted and the stems look whitish. The rest of the tree has green plush growth and it is about 12 ft high now. It had this problem when I brought it home from the nursery but I thought it would snap out of it. What is this and is there anything I can do?
- I am trying to grow an indoor herb garden. My dill and cilantro are failing miserably! I think I am also harvesting them when they are too young. Help! They are frail and stringy.
- I planted my vines mid may before the endless rains. Now many leaves are turning black in spots. Will this correct itself as things dry out and warm up?
- My lawn has distinct areas that are brown next to healthy areas. The brown areas are covered in small holes.
- My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?