Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
Rate This FAQ
Most likely the problem with tubers cracking has to do with uneven moisture. One of the ways to moderate soil moisture is mounding soil or hilling up around the plants and having an organic mulch for the tubers to develop without temperature and moisture fluctuating too much. Click on the following link http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Garden_2005-13.pdf and you will see on page 3 a list of disorders and control.
For information on growing all kinds of vegetables in Utah, a great resource is the horticulture fact sheets that USU Extension has available online. A quick way to get to those resources go to http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture/fruit-and-vegetables and scroll down to find informative fact sheets In the Garden Series.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- I planted some fruit trees fall 2009 and am noticing tons of fruit on them already in this first year. I've heard I should pick them all and wait until the second year to let them mature. Is this right?
- I have a peach tree with lots of little branches that look burnt at the ends. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but the ends of the branches keep turning black and dying.
- What is a good fertilizer schedule?
- I've just moved here from Maryland and I'm starting to landscape our yard. I've noticed that none of my neighbors use mulch in their flower beds. Why is that? I thought mulch helped to keep the soil moist as well as keep out the weeds. Plus you can till it back into the soil in the fall for aeration.
- The leaves on our maple tree get little spikes on the top of it and then dry up and fall off. Can you tell me the problem and how we may solve it?
- My newly sprouted green bean plants are getting small to medium holes in the leaves. Could this be from pests or the heavy rain in East Millcreek?
- I have grubs in my yard. Any suggestions?