Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
Rate This FAQ
Most likely the problem with tubers cracking has to do with uneven moisture. One of the ways to moderate soil moisture is mounding soil or hilling up around the plants and having an organic mulch for the tubers to develop without temperature and moisture fluctuating too much. Click on the following link http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Garden_2005-13.pdf and you will see on page 3 a list of disorders and control.
For information on growing all kinds of vegetables in Utah, a great resource is the horticulture fact sheets that USU Extension has available online. A quick way to get to those resources go to http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture/fruit-and-vegetables and scroll down to find informative fact sheets In the Garden Series.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have lost 2 pine trees and are now loosing our quaking aspen. It has black spots on leaves and trunk has back on it also. The leaves are falling off. Is there anything that can save the tree?
- My new lawn I had hydroseeded last year went to seed this year and and is still looking poorly is there anything I can do to bring it back to looking good again?
- Your answer about watering wasn't specific enough for me. My tomatoes have always cracked and it wasn't until last year that I got the vague answer about uneven watering. Now I'm beginning to think that my gallon a day watering of my one little plant was too much. I also have a drip system that waters three times a week just under the soil at the base of the plant. Should I stop being a helicopter mom and leave it just to the drip system? My plant is a foot high, been in the ground with lots of organic material and has a few small tomatoes. Please tell me how much and how often to water.
- How do I keep birds out of my sweet cherry trees?
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- I had three Canadian Red Chokecherry (prunus virginiana L.) planted Oct 2007; 1 1/2" caliper, 13' tall. This spring, the leaves were a solid green; now they they are turning a purplish red. Is this normal?
- Last fall I planted a 4-foot tall Arizona cypress (Blue Ice) in my yard. I bought it from a local nursery who assured me it was cold-hardy enough for this area, but by this spring most of the needles on the upper 2/3 of the tree had turned brown. The lower needles that were beneath the snowpack for most of the winter are still green. Is there anything I can do to help this tree recovery (or should I find a different tree that's more cold-hardy)?
- I think I have Johnsongrass invading my back lawn. I has sprayed the usual Crabgrass/lawn grassy weed killer on it and it is still taking over my entire lawn. What can I do?