Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
Rate This FAQ
Most likely the problem with tubers cracking has to do with uneven moisture. One of the ways to moderate soil moisture is mounding soil or hilling up around the plants and having an organic mulch for the tubers to develop without temperature and moisture fluctuating too much. Click on the following link http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Garden_2005-13.pdf and you will see on page 3 a list of disorders and control.
For information on growing all kinds of vegetables in Utah, a great resource is the horticulture fact sheets that USU Extension has available online. A quick way to get to those resources go to http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture/fruit-and-vegetables and scroll down to find informative fact sheets In the Garden Series.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is a good fertilizer schedule?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- My mugo pine is turning an orange color and the needles are dropping. What caused this and can it be saved?
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- Last May, I planted my living Christmas tree (5 foot Black Hills Spruce) after wintering it in a sheltered area with mulch. It was inside for only 3 days. It grew well all summer with little green buds until the first hard frost and then it died all at once. What happened? Was it the tree or the location? I live at 7,000 ft; the planting location is a little bit rocky and I don't want it to happen again. Thanks!!!
- Now that it's August, how often should we water our lawn (rock/clay soil); for how long; when (late pm early am); and when do we NOT water? My husband waters every day separate areas (front one day; back the next = X3/week), for approx. 35 min. each station. I say this is TOO much water(ing).
- My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
- The leaves on my snowball bush are withered and the flowers almost nonexistant. The neighboring lilac doesn't look to good either. What could be causing this problem.