Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
Rate This FAQ
Most likely the problem with tubers cracking has to do with uneven moisture. One of the ways to moderate soil moisture is mounding soil or hilling up around the plants and having an organic mulch for the tubers to develop without temperature and moisture fluctuating too much. Click on the following link http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Garden_2005-13.pdf and you will see on page 3 a list of disorders and control.
For information on growing all kinds of vegetables in Utah, a great resource is the horticulture fact sheets that USU Extension has available online. A quick way to get to those resources go to http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture/fruit-and-vegetables and scroll down to find informative fact sheets In the Garden Series.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have an indoor pathos that I potted about a month ago. I noticed recently some fuzz on the soil. Is it mold? Yesterday, the end of the vine was black. How can I save the plant?
- I want to limit growth of newly planted fruit trees and wonder if it would be possible to do that by making a large wooden box and planting each one in a box in the ground? Also if it would work to do that, do I need redwood? I have a stack of 4 x 12 x 16 douglas fir lumber which had been painted on one side and I wondered if I could use them to do this or will they create bug problems?
- I have a large mature cherry tree that over the past 3 weeks has had its leaves turn from green to yellow and now die off (July). I have not changed any watering patterns. The trunk "crotch" has debris, and small crawly wormy insects. How can I treat? Is it too late? It's a lovely tree, provides great shade and privacy.
- About the end of July, some of my Hostas start turning yellow and eventually almost white. These get more sun that the rest. Is that the problem or do they need more fertilizer at some point.
- I live in East Murray, West Holaday, Salt Lake County. We have a large pine tree and want to plant some flowers under/near it. The plants would be along a fence that runs to the east of the tree. Some, very little west sun in the evening. Any suggestions? I would love some long lasting flowers.
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- I would like to find out where I can obtain a list of the daily rainfall/precip totals for the Logan area.
- What can I put in my soil to loosen it up so it does not turn into clumps of heavy mud when wet?