Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
Rate This FAQ
Most likely the problem with tubers cracking has to do with uneven moisture. One of the ways to moderate soil moisture is mounding soil or hilling up around the plants and having an organic mulch for the tubers to develop without temperature and moisture fluctuating too much. Click on the following link http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Garden_2005-13.pdf and you will see on page 3 a list of disorders and control.
For information on growing all kinds of vegetables in Utah, a great resource is the horticulture fact sheets that USU Extension has available online. A quick way to get to those resources go to http://extension.usu.edu/saltlake/htm/horticulture/fruit-and-vegetables and scroll down to find informative fact sheets In the Garden Series.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a sister that lives in South Jordan. She and her neighbor planted their gardens at the same time with the same type of soil. Her neighbors vegetables are thriving and my sisters are on the verge of death. What should she do and where can she have her soil tested?
- I planted 5 flowering pear trees. The leaves are drying out and dying. What can I do to make sure the trees do not die from transplant shock?
- What is a good fertilizer schedule?
- Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
- I would like to dig up my geraniums and overwinter them. What is the best way to overwinter them?
- I live out on the western edge of South Jordan. The home I just bought has very sandy/rocky soil. The lawn is an inch to inch and one half depth. I have decided to add at least four inches of topsoil to my back yard this fall and re-seed. The front yard is still worth saving. I have three questions. What is the best Ph level for my soil in this area and what type of seed will work best in high sun location such as the one I live in and last should I consider some type of organic treatment to my front yard to strengthen it and promote growth?
- My mugo pine is turning an orange color and the needles are dropping. What caused this and can it be saved?
- I have a raised bed garden using the square foot gardening method and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I have to water daily. Is it possible that my garden can get too much sun?