Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a scrub oak that has been growing between a pine and an aspen, which has made the oak very lop-sided. The aspen is gone now. How much purning can we do to the oak to try and even it's growth?
Rate This FAQ
The general rule of thumb with pruning is never more than 1/3 at any time. Pruning promotes growth. For this reason you don’t want to prune in the fall as the new growth could be more susceptible to frost damage. Save your pruning for the late dormant season (late February – March). At this time of year it is also easier to see the form of the trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last summer I made some strawberry jam which I water canned in pint jars according to the directions in the pectin box. It seemed that all the lids sealed (they all popped). Now, though, the jam doesn't look quite right to me--it's a bit brown, especially toward the top of the jars. I'm a little wary of eating or even trying it. What could have caused this? Should I throw it out?
- Is Fall a good time to plant a new lawn? I am a 72 year old homeowner. My back yard (about 2000 sq feet) is barren except or weeds (which my daughter and grandchildren are busy removing).
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- I have seen ads for canada green grass seed. It talks about it's resistance to drought, and the fact that is a very hearty grass. Do you have any info on this grass seed?
- The leaves on my strawberry plants have turned a very pale green or yellow with some brown on the edges what do they need?
- My lawn has distinct areas that are brown next to healthy areas. The brown areas are covered in small holes.
- We want to grow aspen and scrub oak on our property. Can we transplant, if so how and when? Or do we need to grow from seeds? How often to water if we grow from seeds?
- I live in Salt Lake City Utah. Is late October too late in the year to hydroseed?