Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
Rate This FAQ
Winter squash and pumpkins are best harvested when ripened completely on the vine, The squash will turn a deep solid color and the skin will be hard. A rough estimate is to try and scratch the skin with your fingernail. The skin should be hard and impervious to sctratching. If it scratches easily and if the scratch fills with beads of liquid, the squash is not ripe. Be sure to harvest before the first hard frost. With a sharp knife or loppers, separate the squash from the vine, leaving at least 1" of stem attached. For longer storage, it is important to cure your squash in a warm, (75-85 degree) dry area for about 10 days, then store it in a dry area around 50-55 degrees.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a Saucer Magnolia Tree. I purchased it about 4 years ago, every year I see no growth. It has bloomed every year. But it just seems like I would see some growth? This year the leaves are yellow. I have a picture. Am I missing something? What can I do?
- I have a peach tree that has yellow leaves. Some are dark green but most are yellow.The fruit is small. I live in Ceder Valley I have kept an eye out for bugs and water deep evey other week. could it be iron?
- We recently purchased new sod for our yard. It came with small redish brown beetles. I asked the sod company what they were and they didn't know. Are these beetles bad? Will they kill my lawn?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- Please send me a list of what is recommended for gardening vegetables as far as the soil is concerned.
- I planted a Chanticleer pear tree about two weeks ago (mid June) in Perry. I watered it everyday for about 5-6 days and have since cut back to 1-2 times per week. Many of the leaves are very dry and crumble when squeezed. Have I been over watering or under watering my tree? How often should I water it or is it already too late for my tree?
- Two Questions: 1. When do Gooseberries flower? 2. When is the best time to plant tulips?
- What is the cost for a soil test?