Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
Rate This FAQ
Winter squash and pumpkins are best harvested when ripened completely on the vine, The squash will turn a deep solid color and the skin will be hard. A rough estimate is to try and scratch the skin with your fingernail. The skin should be hard and impervious to sctratching. If it scratches easily and if the scratch fills with beads of liquid, the squash is not ripe. Be sure to harvest before the first hard frost. With a sharp knife or loppers, separate the squash from the vine, leaving at least 1" of stem attached. For longer storage, it is important to cure your squash in a warm, (75-85 degree) dry area for about 10 days, then store it in a dry area around 50-55 degrees.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is the cost for a soil test?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?
- My neighbors have horses, and I need to create a wind break of sorts to control dust from their pasture. Please advise regarding trees shrubs I can plant close to fenceline for windbreak that the horses won't eat.
- I just moved to South Jordan and I have clumps of grass pok-a-dotting my lawn. Some say it is crab and others say Johnson. The clumps are hard and raised.
- Many of my potatoes this year have splits in them, but then the skins have grown over the splits, leaving a very uneven skin. Is there something I have done wrong? We have watered about every 4-5 days.
- I discovered on my peach tree there is a white larvae that has burrowed into the base of the trunk and a sticky peach colored substance is there. The rest of the tree looks healthy, but I only have about five peaches that made it this year. This is the third year for this tree, and when it was only a year oldit produced 35 peaches. Also, there are these black bugs with red heads on the tree that I have never seen before. HELP! I really want to save this tree!
- My bush beans have holes in some of the leaves. What is causing this? What can I do to fix it?
- I have beautiful hosta and fern plants growing outside. How do I protect them so they will survive the winter? Do I need to dig them up and bring them inside?