Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When and how do I harvest my butternut and buttercup squash?
Rate This FAQ
Winter squash and pumpkins are best harvested when ripened completely on the vine, The squash will turn a deep solid color and the skin will be hard. A rough estimate is to try and scratch the skin with your fingernail. The skin should be hard and impervious to sctratching. If it scratches easily and if the scratch fills with beads of liquid, the squash is not ripe. Be sure to harvest before the first hard frost. With a sharp knife or loppers, separate the squash from the vine, leaving at least 1" of stem attached. For longer storage, it is important to cure your squash in a warm, (75-85 degree) dry area for about 10 days, then store it in a dry area around 50-55 degrees.
If you have further questions, you can call us at 851-8462.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?
- I am preparing to sod my front yard in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a grass that is hardy, drought and weed resistant. I also have a dog that can be somewhat hard on grass. I looked into Zoysia grass, but determined it wasn't a really great grass for this climate. What would you suggest, and where might I find it in Northern Utah?
- Where can I buy a kumquat tree in Utah? Will it survive living outdoors in SLC?
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- I have several burning bushes and every year they start out great in the spring but later spring the leaves turn yellow, I have been adding iron to the soil around them and it seems to help a bit but it still happens every year. Could it be something else?
- Someone told me not to use cherry tomatoes in my spaghetti sauce due to inadequate acidity. If I pressure can the sauce and it also includes zucchini, onion, eggplant and fresh herbs, could it not also include some quantity of cherry tomatoes as part of the mix? I like to use up excess veggies in my sauce.
- I have many Chanticleer pear's in my yard. Each year they swarm with Wasps during the day. There are not any nests in them. Is there anything I can do or spray to remove them? They have been swarming many of my Quakies as well. I have read online that it could be from aphids on the trees and the Wasps go after the sugary substance the aphids leave behind. I have noticed on my Quakies that there are small holes on some leaves which might mean aphids, but on the Chanticleer's there are not any holes on the leaves so I don't think aphids would be on those. Please help the wasps are out of control on these trees.
- What pesticides can I use for alfalfa weevil, and what are the best? Have Furadan and Lorsban been removed for this application