Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can an olive tree survive in Utah?
Rate This FAQ
Olive trees, the kind that are used to produce the olives we eat are trees that are native to the Mediterranean area. This area has a long, hot growing season and mild winters. This is one reason that olive trees do not do well here. Our growing season is typically not long enough for olives and we often get late spring frost that can damage the blossoms and destroy any developing fruit. Olives also do not like cold winters and will be permanently damaged if temperatures drop below freezing. While it may be possible to get a tree to grow, if it is given enough protection, odds are that it would not produce any fruit.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in riverton and want to plant triple crown blackberries and dwarf northblue blueberries. Do you have any suggestions or help?
- I have an apricot tree that is so heavy laden with fruit that it broke a major branch yesterday leaving me with about a half bushel of partially ripened fruit. Can any of it be saved? What should I do?
- Do garden vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers require sun protection,(shade), during the hot part of summer?
- I am a landscape designer and have a client in Hyrum with an orchard of about 25 misc. fruit trees. Of course the clients want low maintenance. What is a good way to control weeds in the orchard? Turf? Bare soil and cultivation? Bark mulch? If turf is a good option, what variety? Thanks.
- We want to plant a couple of trees in our front yard that don't get very big (about 10 to 15 feet high). Can you suggest any are not messy and don't send up runners? If you have literature on selecting trees, could you send me a link?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?
- I have thornless red raspberries that have been planted for three years. (I don't know the name of the variety.) The berries are very small - too small. Suggestions?
- I have a pine tree that is dying. It has two or three branches that are dead or dying. Is there any treatment that I can use to stop this?