Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My Grandmother has several apple tree saplings that she has grown from seeds. She has offered one of the saplings to us. We want to know what time of year is the best for transplanting? Should we dig it out this fall and keep it in the garage until spring? Or could we transplant at the end of September? Is there a transplanting guide? Thank You For Your Time!
Rate This FAQ
Fall is a good time for transplanting trees. The tree can take advantage of the cooler temperatures and increased soil moisture to establish its root system before it goes dormant for the winter. Below I have included two links. The first is "Planting Landscape Trees" and the second is "Ten Tree Planting Rules". All of this information and more can be found at the USU Forestry Webpage http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/hometown.htm.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What kind of Strawberry plant do you recommend? I remember Crocket's Victory Garden recommending an ever bearing one for the New England area.
- Can citrus and avocado trees be planted and grown successfully in Salt Lake County?
- I am going to overseed my west lawn. Do I need some type of covering (straw, peat, etc.) to help keep the seeds in place?
- Last fall I bought a daffodil mixture. They bloomed great this spring, but in October they have all started to come up. What's going on?
- I've just moved here from Maryland and I'm starting to landscape our yard. I've noticed that none of my neighbors use mulch in their flower beds. Why is that? I thought mulch helped to keep the soil moist as well as keep out the weeds. Plus you can till it back into the soil in the fall for aeration.
- When do I spray my apple tree so my apples dont have worms in them and with what pesticide do I spray them?
- How do I get rid of the Quaking Aspen suckers that are coming up in my lawn without hurting the trees or the grass?
- I have a Saucer Magnolia Tree. I purchased it about 4 years ago, every year I see no growth. It has bloomed every year. But it just seems like I would see some growth? This year the leaves are yellow. I have a picture. Am I missing something? What can I do?