Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I had a small fly with speckled wings basically destroy my peaches this year, about the size of a small "housefly". They lay eggs through the skin that go to the pit and then if left hatch into small worm type larvae. They got into every peach, but did not start getting there until the peaches were starting to ripen. It at first looks like a small round spot, but with time rots the fruit and turns it brown. What are they and how do you get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
Based on the information provided it appears that you have the “Walnut Husk Fly”. As the name implies, this is a common pest on our local Walnuts. However, when grown in proximity to a peach tree, the fly will also infest the peach fruit. Insecticides that offer control are Malathion, diazinon, or pyrethrin. Also, here is a very informative link for you to learn more. http://jenny.tfrec.wsu.edu/opm/displaySpecies.php?pn=160 Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have flying, black bugs with orange/red spots by the eyes. They are all over our year old peach trees. Do you have any idea what they could be and how we can get rid of them?
- I have these little tiny beetle bugs. I suspect they are the mexican jumping bug thing. They are all over my tomatos, they eat the leaves until I wonder if the tomatoes will survive. What can I do to get rid of them? P.S. They eat my potato plants too.
- I have a young peach tree that has a bug on it I can't identify. It's a flying beetle type insect...black wings and red head. There isn't any fruit on the tree of course. The bugs are on the leaves but don't seem to be eating the leaves. They fly around the tree and are not constantly there. They seem to come and go. Any ideas?
- Every spring I get larger black ants coming into my house mostly in the kitchen. I also see them outside the house and climbing around the base structure. I have determined that they are not termites. I tried using a bate last year but unlike all of the smaller colonies of ants that I gave the bate to (which I haven't seen in the house only in the driveway and sidewalks) which immediately started loading it up to take back to the nest, these ants weren't interested. Is there a reason? What kind of ant might they be and therefore what kind of bate do I need to use?
- Sandy, Utah area (foothill benches. I am seeing sparse (not dense threads or tent-like)spider webs spanning approx 1-2 inches in the crotches of various limbs on scrub oak (no bugs or spiders are visible, however, did recently see only one yellowish/brown spindly pointed legs/body spider on limb which was about 1/2 - 3/4 inch if legs were spread from end to end). I've never seen spider like it before and can't identify on internet or books. Any thoughts, advice, or place to reference on what and how to treat? Scrub overhangs patio and everyone is paranoid to sit under trees. This is only affecting a few trees near pation, not seen on all scrub oak on property.
- I was camping in Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend. Sunday Morning a large beetle landed on my leg. I flicked it off. As we were taking down camp more of this same beetle kept landing on me. It had about and inch long body and almost double that with the antenna. I was hoping you could help me identify it and tips that may be useful for preventing them from pursuing me in the future.
- We have a scorpion that just came up on our patio when our sprinklers came on. Is it normal to find a scorpion in Herriman? I have never heard of them here. It seems to be all white and very mean as it came after the people sitting on the patio rather than going away from them. We now have it in a bottle. This concerns me as I have a two year old and a baby who play out side. How do I keep them out of my yard?
- I recently moved into a house. I noticed what I thought were little black ants didn't bother me I've delt with little black ants before. then I noticed that these little ants didn't have legs that stick out. then I noticed that they weren't ants. once in awhile I would see them when I swept the floor and occationaly I would see one or a few climbing up my wall. but now the really sad thing is they are all over in my Flour, My bags of rice and now i will have to throw it all out. What kind of a bug is it? it is about 1/4 inch long, very thin, and very black. Help me. And what do I need to do to get rid of it?