Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a new laurel plant whose leaves have turned half brown. Is this caused by heat?
Rate This FAQ
Without seeing your plant it is very difficult to give you an exact reason why you have browning leaves and there may be several different culprits, which alone or in some combination may be the cause of the damage. Heat may be a factor and some plants can have browning leaves especially if they are planted where they receive full sun all day. If you think this may be the problem then adding a thick layer of mulch around the base of the plant will help the plant retain water and should help reduce the amount of browning leaves.
Another reason you may have browning leaves may fertilizer damage. This type of damage usually shows at the tips of the leaves. Pesticide damage can also cause browning.
Lastly, a water issue may be causing the browning leaves. This may be either over or under watering. To check to see how much water your laurel is receiving take a long screwdriver, at least six inches long, and push it into the ground around the base of your laurel plant. If it is hard to push the screwdriver into the soil then there is not a lot of water in the soil; however, if it is really easy to push the screwdriver down into the ground there is water in the soil. This quick test can give you a baseline idea as to how much water your plant is receiving.
If you would like, you can also bring a sample of your plant to our office where we can look at your plant and try to determine what is going on.
2001 S. State Street #S1200
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a flowering Japanese Cherry tree that has bloomed beautiful pink flowers until last spring and this spring. Half of it is white flowers and half is very small pink buds. What has happened? It is about 15 years old.
- Can you tell me how to get rid of the Star of Israel that is in your lawn?
- I have a Bartlett pear tree that has black spots on the leaves and holes chewed on some leaves and a few curled up leaves. Could you tell me what to spray for these problems?
- What are the differences and advantages or disadvantages of soil amendments? Specifically Perlite (expanded silicous rock), Vermiculite (expanded mica), Utelite (expanded shale).
- I planted 5 flowering pear trees. The leaves are drying out and dying. What can I do to make sure the trees do not die from transplant shock?
- I planted some fruit trees fall 2009 and am noticing tons of fruit on them already in this first year. I've heard I should pick them all and wait until the second year to let them mature. Is this right?
- Can I grow bitter melon, gourds, thai chili peppers, hmong cucumbers, peas, green peas, sugar snap peas, and lemon grass in Clinton? When should I plant them?
- When should I cut back spent tulips and daffadills?