Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a space along the north side of our house that is shady most of the day. We are wondering what we can plant there. It is right beside the house and we would like to put something that is edible in that space? We wanted to put in strawberries but decided it was probably too shady for them.
Rate This FAQ
Strawberries will have a difficult time growing in that spot because they need to have at least eight full hours of sun during the growing season. Fruits, vegetables and herbs also need to have at least six to eight hours of sunlight so putting something edible in that particular location will not work well.
Below I have included two links that list plants that you may want to consider as alternatives. The first is a list of annual flowers that grow well in shadier locations and the second is a list of perennials.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- We created square foot gardens last year and have discovered the cat has used them for a litter box over the winter and spring. There isn't a large amount of feces,which we remove, but we are concerned that it may have contaminated the soil. Should we dig it out and start over?
- How do I get rid of the Quaking Aspen suckers that are coming up in my lawn without hurting the trees or the grass?
- My lawn has distinct areas that are brown next to healthy areas. The brown areas are covered in small holes.
- I have a young (~3 year old) brown turkey fig. I planted it last fall and it survived! the winter. It is producing small figs now but the leaves have a brownish gray powdery looking substance on them. It doesn't rub off but looks like powdery spots. Any clue what it might be or what I should do? The leaves remain green and look healthy. This appeared after the recent heavy rains.
- When do I spray my cherry tree to prevent worms?
- The leaves on my grape plants have turned yellow. The veins are still green but the rest of the leaf is yellow. I added some iron about a week ago and have not noticed any change as yet. Is there something else I need to do?
- I have an 11 year old sugar maple. For the past few years the leaves have been getting more and more yellow. I bought an iron product, read the directions, and sprinkled it around the base. Instead of turning green the leaves are still yellow and small brown spots all over them. Help!