Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Two questions; I have an dwarf Honey Crisp apple tree that is about 5 years old. Last year it had a dozen apples. I didn't disturb the fruit spurs when I picked the fruit. This year there were no blossoms on the tree. I didn't prune it at all. What can I do to help it produce every year? Second question; I have peach borers in the main branches of my nectarine tree. The tree seems healthy other than the borers. What can I do about them at this point? Will it help to dig them out? Will it help to spray? Will they winter over to next year?
Rate This FAQ
Apples tend to alternate in their bearing – one year on, one year off. To offset this you need to thin your apples in the spring when they are about the size of a dime. Thin the fruit one per cluster or about every 5-6”. This will help the tree reserve some energy for next years crop. As for your nectarine, normally the greater peach tree borer will be evident as small pencil size holes often with sawdust near the base of the tree (usually 1’ from the ground) For spray information there is a very helpful website, http://utahpests.usu.edu. This website contains spray information for fruit trees along with products and timing. It is updated weekly throughout the season. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We bought a house that has quaking aspens around the perimeter of the yard. About half of them are dying or are already dead. What can we do to prevent the rest of them from dying, and what should we do with the dead trees?
- Will kumquat trees grow in St. George, Utah?
- My neighbors Aspen trees are sending roots into my yard. Is there anyway besides a barrier to discourage this growth?
- In the vegetable fact sheets it make watering suggestions such as "water 1-2" per week" how much water is 1-2" per week? Also, Can I use blood meal for nitrogen to side dress tender plants?
- Can Blenheim apricots be grown in Cache Valley? If so, what problems might I expect?
- Please suggest some good bush rose varieties (not reds)- 3-4'high and 4' wide for a border planting in front of my home. I live in Holladay. Also, will a variegated dogwood tree grow well here if not in full sun?
- This year a majority of our tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom. Some of them as soon as they are ripe they have mold growing on them. Are these safe to eat an can or what do I need to do. We have about 8 or 9 plants. They are not producing that well. It seems to be on all of are tomatoes except for the grape. What can we do to get this problem taken care of?
- My greenhouse made of visqueen does not allow the sun to hit soil, causing the growth of algae on the surface. What must be done?